Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter

We sure love school breaks around here. Easter weekend gloriously came and went. The kids had a list of chores to complete Friday so we could put up the tent for the weekend in the backyard. While we were working, I looked at the clock and realized it was about the same time as the death of Jesus Christ so many, many years ago. I had been reading in Talmage's Jesus the Christ throughout the week, so the events of the original Easter weekend were fresh on my mind. As I worked I replayed in my mind the time table of what had happened: the Earth mourned the loss of her creator, what happened to Jesus's body after his spirit left, those close to him who mourned him, the watch set at the garden tomb, and finally Jesus claiming victory over death by taking up his body again. I find it completely fascinating that those closest to him didn't recognize him after he was resurrected. Even after he told them he would rise on the third day, they were shocked and even disbelieving! They knew him! And they saw him in the flesh! It really makes you wonder about your own faith: I say that I know he lives even though I've never seen him, but when it comes right down to it, do I? What if everyone I know and respect and love decided it was all made up and fell away . . . could I still say that I KNOW Jesus Christ lives? That he is my Savior and Redeemer from sin and death?

These are the thoughts I shared in testimony meeting on Easter Sunday. I hope that I, like Elder Bruce R. McConkie, could say that I know, independent of any other person, that Jesus Christ is our Lord, our God, and our King, and that when I see him someday, I will not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son.

So . . . awkward transition . . .

Saturday morning we prepped for a picnic/Easter egg hunt and met at Woodburys' at 11:00. We caravanned to Maverik then up to the Kolob road, where we veered off the path and claimed a great spot by the river. Yummy food, splashy water playing, traditional egg hunt, sitting around doing nothing . . . you get the gist; you've been there before. I bought water squirters from the dollar store for all the kids to find on the hunt, and they were a hit. Best dollars I ever spent. They played, and played . . . and played with those things till it was time to go home. I heart Easter and spring.

These are the things I think when I look at this picture: Leif=handsome, Melissa needs a serious hair appointment, Gavin had to be bribed to wear that pink bowtie, Paige's hair is post-nap, and Dax is just the cutest thing ever.
Happy Easter from us.

No comments: