I spent the bulk of yesterday afternoon/evening reliving the horrific moth/larvae pantry incident. For real. I might have almost cried several times. I saw one larval worm on the floor of the pantry and that was it: detoxification all over again. Didn't find any moths, but I think I must have missed a stray last time that started this second round. It really was not that bad compared to last time: I'm sooo glad I nipped it in the bud before it was a real problem again. I threw away so much.
After last time, I read that you should keep everything in your pantry in air-tight containers, which I realized, but I couldn't run out and buy a bunch of stuff so I was just more careful about not leaving things open. Well, if you think chip clips or twist ties are good enough, think again. This is where they thrive, folks. Also, if you think your unopened boxes of pasta or cake mixes are moth-proof, you would be wrong. They nest in the corners of cardboard and plastic, on the rims of unopened cans, and they love the dry goods: cereals, pastas, rice, nuts, baking powder and soda, etc. I threw away most of those things. I'm giving you a heads-up in case The Plague ever happens at your house so you will know what to do and where to look.
Just so you know, I'm completely mortified that I'm letting y'all know that this happened again. You probably think I have repulsive, unclean habits, and you are telling yourself never to eat anything that comes from my house again. I think I know what a leper would feel like. But please know that my pantry is uber-clean now (this is for you again, Megan my friendly neighbor), and it will never be disgusting again. Cross my heart. And if it actually does happen again, I really do hope to die.
Leif got home just as I was finishing up, and I told him we were going to Durango's for dinner. He really had no choice. As soon as I was out of the kitchen, I realized how hungry I was. We had a world-class FHE lesson on manners and being polite while we were at dinner. Then I fell asleep lying next to Paige at bedtime, where I slept for three hours (dreaming about moth larvae) then couldn't go back to sleep for about four more.
So I wrote the bulk of this at 3:33 a.m. without a wink of tiredness in my eyes. I was extremely tired today and am off to bed. Before 10 p.m. is a huge rarity for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment