Wednesday, January 30, 2013

And the mom of the day award goes to . . .

Had to call poison control today. Other than that, it was a pretty nice Wednesday.

I went to Heather's TurboKick class this morning, which I never get to do because I teach the same class on the same day, but my class was canceled. Then I showered, ate, started some laundry . . . and I heard Dax sputtering in the bathroom. He had swallowed some Desolv-it. I panicked, washed his mouth and hands, and called Heather to get help finding poison control's number (which is now programmed into my phone). My heart was seriously beating so fast. I was told to watch Dax closely for the next six hours to make sure he didn't start coughing or have any respiratory problems, and that if he did I should take him to the hospital. The guy was super helpful and calmed me by telling me that if he wasn't reacting now or within the hour he would be fine. So I delayed Dax's nap so I could watch him, then when I did put him down I kept checking on him. Watching your kids sleeping is one of life's greatest rewards, by the way. Especially when you've had a scare--they're extra precious that day! The poison control guy was very punctual with his promised one-hour and six-hour check-ups. Scary. Those cabinet locks that have been sitting on my counter for over a month will no longer be put off. Ugh! I hate feeling like a stupid, neglectful parent.

Anyway, Leif and I were able to sneak away to do sealings at the temple tonight while Grandma Jo and Papa Clair watched the kiddos. We hadn't done sealings in a while, so it was great. Love that place. There was a guy in our group who had a stack of his own family names, which got me to thinking that I should spend more time indexing names on the family history website and spend less time on things like Facebook. I tell myself that I don't have time for things like indexing, but I wonder how much I could get done if I took all of my Facebook minutes and exchanged them for indexing minutes? Just thinking.

I get to volunteer in Gavin's class tomorrow--one of my favorite things in life right now--and I'm planning on going to a park in the afternoon to enjoy this glorious warming trend we are having. I'm really going to try to get all of the clean laundry folded and put away, and I have high hopes of whittling down the paper pile that keeps growing on my kitchen counter. Should be a good day.

No comments: