Mile 15: 8 minutes 35 seconds. That first big cheering group at Snow Canyon Park was awesome! Made me run faster. Plus, it was the first real downcline. I also felt pretty great at Mile 24 coming into the big St. George crowd.
WORST MILE
Mile 18: 10 minutes 24 seconds. Blasted Ledges Parkway! This is where I started walking two years ago (and continued to walk for the last 8 miles). Veyo hill's Mile 8 was a very close second.
MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
Ran with Bart Yasso for a minute. It was awesome. (He was the keynote speaker at the expo yesterday. He had so many interesting stories to tell. Kaelee and I got a picture with him and told him we were fans. He didn't tell us he was running the marathon, so I was surprised to see him at mile 5ish.)
BEST SIGNAGE
"Every time a runner loses a toenail, an angel gets its wings."
WORST SIGNAGE
"Fat butt Mommy. Go exercise."
MOST UNEXPECTED MOMENT
Bloody nose at Mile 22. I thought my nose was running, then I touched it and got blood all over my hand. Luckily it was right before an aid station so they gave me a wet paper towel that I carried for the next three miles and had to keep reusing. Gross. I was keeping a pretty nice pace at this point, and I'm glad this didn't slow me down too much.
MOST AWKWARDEST MOMENT
Running with Nicco, the long-haired, smelly, bearded guy who got way to close for comfort. He had a lot to say. And he might have been slightly crazy, but who wouldn't be after running over 100 marathons?
BEST SCENERY
My family coming into view a few steps from the finish line. I almost cry every time. Okay, sometimes I do cry. Today I was all smiles and waves.
SOMETHING OLD
Broken kneecaps and shredded quads. Someday I hope to finish a marathon and not hobble and limp around for three days afterwards, rendering myself virtually useless as a mother and/or human being. It's getting old.
SOMETHING NEW
I ran the whole thing without my ipod. And I liked it.
MOST LIKELY TO SUCCEED
Leif made me a root beer float last weekend. And then something magical happened: I made myself a root beer float every night thereafter until marathon day. It became this weird good luck charm. I think this new marathon tradition should stick.
![]() | ||
| Me 4:10, Kaelee 3:54, Matt 3:28, Casey 3:46, Travis 3:38 |
*I need to add more pictures after I get my camera from Aunt LouAnne's house in Central where we stayed the night. We like to take silly pre-race pictures.
And here they are:
| The essentials: KT tape, pink nipple tape, petroleum jelly, anti-chafe bar |
| And a breast pump for me |
| I was trying to look super awake. Didn't work. |
| He was going for the "First Day of Kindergarten" pose (it was his first marathon). He also has sleepy face. |




6 comments:
Mile 18 of St. G SUCKS!!! You're a rockstar. Glad you had fun :)
You are awesome.
amen.
This post is basically, um, awesome! I am so jealous that you guys got to stay in Central.
I didn't have my watch but I'm sure I didn't have any miles as fast as your fastest. And I didn't get to run with Bart.
So the moral of the story is that I need to have more root beer floats.
Congrats!
Congrats...way to go!
i don't know all those jolly, sleep people in your night-before pics; I'm guessing they share bloodlines with you. I know the girl in the green shirt giving five to her young son while she finishes running 26.? miles (I don't like to think about the amount, so forgetting the percentage makes me feel better. I think). She is my hero. I still can't believe I have a neice (no bloodlines shared, dangit) who runs marathons. I wonder if I can hold onto her shirt while riding a skateboard when she marathons into heaven? Cuz I'm pretty sure people who can run marathons get a free pass there. But maybe that's just how I would do it...
Love you, Meliss! Yeah, you know I'm proud, even if I'm never there to cheer as you cross the finish line. :-/
Post a Comment