Thursday, October 4, 2012

Walking with strangers

Yesterday was National Walk to School Day, but instead of actually walking from our house to the school, we had to drive to the baseball fields to join the school's organized event. As we pulled away from the house, Gavin said, "Mom! We're not supposed to drive to school because it's National Walk to School Day!" I know, Gavin. I think it's silly that we're driving, too, but it's too far to walk from here to the ball fields to the school and back again.

Anyway, we met the throngs to listen to Officer-What's-His-Name give his safety schpiel before walking to the school together, and after he talked about sidewalks and crosswalks and jaywalks, he talked about stranger danger, which was the greatest because this is what he said: "If a stranger tells you to go with him, you should say no. If he keeps bugging you then you should go find a grown-up." Um, really? This is how we want kids to respond to strangers?

Stranger: "Hey, buddy! Do you want to come for a ride in my really cool car?"

Kid: "Nah, I'm good."

Stranger: "But I have lots of candy! And I'll take you to Disneyland!"

Kid: "I really wish you'd quit bugging me, sir."

Stranger: "We can go for a ride in a hot air balloon! And I'll give you a basket full of money!"

Kid: "Thanks anyway, but I think I need to go find a grown-up now."

I'm pretty sure I want my kid to scream, "STRANGER!!!" as he's running towards an adult. At the first sign of danger.

But I guess that's just me.



1 comment:

Yomama said...

:-)
Explanation: You make the most ordinary events fun to read about. Yes, a walk-to-school day is ordinary (sorry, Gavin). Your post isn't.