Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gavin's 5th: our birthday caboose

All 4 of our family birthdays fall within 6 weeks of each other, with Gavin bringing up the rear today, and I gotta tell ya, I'm all birthday-ed out. In fact, I'm kind of all holiday-ed out. Case in point: I pulled all my Halloween junk out of the entry closet so I can box it up properly and return it to storage with my Thanksgiving stuff (which is still up), and I have all my Christmas boxes out, along with remnants of Gavin's birthday party strewn about . . . which means that Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Birthday are all represented in a couple hundred square feet of space.

It looks like the Holiday Fairy threw up in my living room.

I'm hoping to be home most of the day tomorrow to remedy this unfortunate situation that makes me feel a little lazy. In my defense, I move a little slower these days, what with this baby belly jutting out from my abdomen. My method of picking up the house has evolved from a bend-and-grab exercise to a kick-to-a-central-pile, sit-and-sort, then stand-and-put-away event that, I'm sure, is quite entertaining to watch. This physical adaptation is completely necessary; otherwise, my house would be in ruins, or my back would be completely shot. Darwin would be proud.

Anyway, I've digressed. What I really meant to post about was how much I love my new 5-year-old and his enthusiasm for life. That sweet boy has been such a joy to watch grow in all his capacities.

He thinks he knows what a "joke" is, and this one is his current favorite:

"Does a tree talk?...No! Ha! Ha! Ha!"

Thanks for all the smiles and laughs, Gavin.


Wasn't this just yesterday??? Man, I loved that perfectly round, bald head!
All grown up. He didn't love the trick candles for a minute till all the boys tried to help blow out the flames, which they thought was great.
I did a little boys-only bash on Friday. Trust me, only 6 little boys can make for a crazy party. Despite a few tears over popped balloons, we had lots of fun. (RJ Hurst, Lincoln Langston, Andy Hanks, Caleb Stout, Gavin, and Marshall Stratton)
Actual birthday: Leif made chocolate chip pancakes, he got presents from church, and we did a little family party tonight at my parents'.

p.s. I actually am excited about Christmas--it will just be nice when it's the only focus. Which reminds me! My (our) Christmas present will be showing up sometime this week, all shiny and red! I can't wait to post pictures.

1 comment:

The Stratton's said...

Oooo! I can't wait to see that picture.