Saturday, August 14, 2010

Very Fun Trippin'

So I snagged Breanne on Tuesday and we took the kids up to Leif's parents' house to help Nancy put up the apples. We made applesauce, applesauce, and more applesauce. Don't tell Leif, but I think I married him just to become privilege to Nancy's homemade gingerbread and applesauce combo. That "meal" definitely earned its spot on my top 10 favorite foods list. And if you put whipped cream on top....forget about it. They definitely eat that stuff in heaven.

Anyway, I digress....so when we weren't applesauce-ing, we enjoyed the absolutely perfect weather (who knew it wasn't eternally 112 degrees everywhere in the world?), rode 4-wheelers and tractors, watched the SYTYCD finale, and drove into the mountains to roast hot dogs and throw rocks into the creek. Very fun. We headed to IKEA on Friday morning, and then we pit-stopped in Payson for some slip-n-slide action with the Benches who are visiting from Austin. Also very fun. The drive home was nice despite its lateness, and I got up mere hours later to bust out a 19-miler with Heather this morning. Not very fun. Marathon training is yucky sometimes.

I woke up from my nap feeling like somebody had taken a hammer to my knees, so the afternoon swim felt lovely. I just want to give a shout-out to my incredibly supportive husband who lets me maintain my marathon madness despite its effect on my ability to contribute. To anything. I promise this will be my last marathon for a very long time. Unless I qualify for Boston. And then after next April I promise. :)

Quote of the week: "Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you want for breakfast." --Gavin

I made these to help pass 6 hours of travel time with the kids. Stole the idea from a link on my new favorite blog. Very fun. (*Since you asked: I put stickers under the bubbles and then taped the bubble wrap down. Then you can play by popping the bubble when you see the object, for example, a bird, or you can say, "Can you find a butterfly and pop it?" Since my kids are a little young, they ended up just popping at will. I would suggest small bubble wrap for little fingers, big bubble wrap for bigger kids. My kids loved it.)

Fun with Grandpa Burton.


Oh, so helpful.

We did somewhere near 100 quarts. In about a day and a half. That's a lot.

I spent a lot of time holding little belt loops to prevent disaster.

See? They didn't like it. Too constricting.

Grandma joining the anti-litter campaign.

Paige said, "No, no, no, no" all the way down. She never really warmed to the slide. It was pretty big.

But very fun, right?

Gavin LOVED it.

Cutest future divers. Ever. Look at those tiny flippers!

13 comments:

Erin said...

Wow that is alot of applesauce. The dessert sounds interesting, I think you will have to try and sell me on it. All cute pictures but I can't get over how cute the last one is with them in their scuba gear. Love those kids.

Loni said...

Fun at Peteeneet Slide--cool!

Travis and Rhonda said...

Looks like you guys had such a great time. The applesauce looks yummy and like alot of work.

Those diver suits are adorable, and of couse the kids in them are cute as ever!

Yomama said...

Love this post! Love this blog! Love you - bet I've never said any of that before... ;-)
I wish you would quit making me miss (i.e., long for)Utah and family time, though. I think it's about time to start planning a R & A Bench descendant reunion...
Keep up the splendiferousness, Melissa - kids, hubby, and fun blog, to touch on the obvious... And kill the competition in your marathon (you know I mean that in the most positive way possible ;-)!
Hugs,
Auntie Karla

Leona said...

so jealous! i love that dessert and the applesauce and am so bummed we missed out on everything (and seeing you guys)! so glad you guys had a great time and got lots done even with little helpers!

Amber said...

Super fun! Love homemade applesauce. I'm jealous of all the fun you can have with your sis and family. Good luck with the rest of your training? Also what are those things you made for the kids?

D/E G said...

I always kinda pig out on the applesauce and gingerbread too--though it's been awhile...normally the whipped cream on top thing would make it ultimate. Your busy kids are so cute and it was fun to see other familiar faces too! Miss you all much!

Kaelee said...

Aw...I've missed those bird legs of yours. Really, I have, because if I wasn't missing them that would mean I was there training with them and being jealous of them in person. Boo. I second "what are those things you made for the kids?". I hope you kill the competition, too, I'm excited to see what time you get (I will be seeing it from a very far distance, mind you, as I will be a few miles behind).

Tupou's said...

so fun.. looks like a blast! Hope your doing well, looks like you are. Im sure your glad to be back in Utah..
miss ya

Rachel said...

Super cute! I love the huge slip and slide...it must have been the Benches because everything is bigger in Texas, right?

I told Lance to plan our trip to see you and Leif so they can plan it. I'm all planned out at the moment...surprising I know. Lance flies in in 1 week and then we have a weekend of his birthday, Eric's homecoming, and Em's farewell....so the next week will be dedicated to seeing our BBF's :) Can't wait!!

Liz said...

How fun, I really liked the bubble idea! Looks like lots of fun! I hope you don't mind me blog surfing you :)

Nate and Sum said...

Did Gavin get that twinkle twinkle little star song from Dora? Addie does the same thing with Row row row your boat. She says life is but a... bowl of spaghetti. I swear that's where it is from. :)
Thanks for coming tonight. It was fun to see you.
I agree that your future divers are super cute!

Anonymous said...

Your kids are getting so big ! I love your little bubble/sticker idea. I am going to use that for sure. Thanks for sharing. And of course the quotes are great. Keep em coming.