Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Jepson Reunion 2010

Nothing like a Grandpa 4-wheeler ride

The boys cozied up for a movie in the camp trailer

The tire swing was a real hit

Gavin couldn't handle waiting patiently for his turns

Pajamas + shoes for breakfast in the mountains = super cuteness

See how cute?

(Paige translations: "catepillar...catepillar fall...okay." Love her.)

Family picture time

Three-legged racers (they didn't win, but they were the cutest pair!)

Gavin did such a good job hopping in his gunny sack. I was extremely proud.

The Woodbury clan sans Japan Cliffords :(

This year's fish pond loot included a blow-up snake sword which the boys loved

Dirty camper face

Another fish pond prize, which was ridiculously uncomfortable and sight-impairing, but they sure made Grandma Jepson look like a star.

This girl lives for a thrill ride--just like her mama.


All tuckered out on the last day of camp.

Last weekend was the annual Jepson Family Reunion that always comes and goes much too quickly. This year far out-funned last year for me since my kids are older and since Leif was able to attend. As usual, we over-packed food, under-mingled with non-immediate family members, and just-right enjoyed the mountainous reprieve from lower-elevation heat. We claimed a spot on Big Flat on the top of Beaver Mountain and filled our days with yummy food, boys' frisbee games, badminton, racing, 4-wheeling, card playing, horseshoes, picture taking, testimony bearing, rock skipping, visiting and good old fashioned relaxing.

We are some of the remaining few who tent it, while many have converted to camp trailer-style camping. So Paige and I slept in the tent, with Leif and Gavin in the back of the Tacoma next to us. Leif was gone spotlighting on Friday night and I was playing games in Chet and Erin's camp trailer when I heard Gavin crying in the truck. So I ran over and asked him what was wrong. He said, "I'm in the forest!" with this tone in his voice that said, "What a stupid question to ask, Mom, because forests are so obviously scary at night when you're all alone." So I laid down by him for about 20 minutes, and then he said, "Okay, Mom, you're all done." He had the time of his life on the mountain and started whining when we pulled into our driveway on Sunday, saying, "No! I want to go camping!" That's our boy. :)

Unfortunately, our drive home was a sad one. We were in backed-up traffic on SB I-15 around Pintura because of a car roll-over, and just as we were regaining speed after passing the wreck, we witnessed another accident right in front of us that killed two people. Leif and Casey jumped out to help, and Heather, Nicole, and I waited with the kids for about an hour before the boys were done and we had all filled out witness reports. It was awful. Things like that really hit hard and make you realize how fragile life is and how important it is to do your best, love your family, and be prepared to meet God. I was so proud of Leif and Casey for helping and for handling it so well. Good guys.

Anyway, overall it was a lovely weekend. My blog posting has been severely lacking as of late, so I'm going to try harder to document our lives before I forget it all! I haven't even posted those cute pictures from the 4th of July--maybe better late than never. But a day in the life of summer right now usually consists of me getting up stupid early to run before the sun starts its scorching, then getting in the water at some point during the day because it's just too hot to do anything else, then trying to come up with something last minute for dinner because I don't feel like cooking in the heat, and finally putting the kids to bed way later than we should because we're always playing at Grandma's, swimming at Shaws', or just hanging out because "the sun is still up." Sounds like the sun rules the world. Can't wait for the tomatoes to come on at Papa Clair's Garden.

The End.

9 comments:

Megan said...

This makes me miss Woodbury reunions! I am sad our kids won't have those kinds of memories like we do. Glad you had such a good time and that you all got home safely!

Kaelee said...

Oh man. I've been anxiously/trepidously waiting for someone to post about the reunion. Looks like fun was had, despite our absence. Tatum is getting mad at for not showing her the pictures, she's obsessed. Sad.

Rachel said...

So I hardly recognize Paige in pictures because she isn't a baby anymore. Sad.
Your reunions sound SO fun and I'm so glad your kids are natural campers... you started them young :) I remember Gavin in the tent at 3 month :) Good times...

Travis and Rhonda said...

Love those camping faces! Great reunion-Can't wait til next year to do it all over again!

The Stratton's said...

I was totally going to call you before we left, but you know how prepping for a trip goes... you never get it all done like you want to. Yes, we were at Zilker Park. And yes, we did ride the train. My cousin was sweet enough to make a list of things we ought to check out. We ate at Walton's Fancy & Staple (if I could be reincarnated into a restaurant this would be it), Gueros, Freddy's (yummy frozen custard), Coopers Pit BBQ, and a couple other places. We actually stayed in New Braunfels so we only had a couple of "days" in Austin. But oh my heck!!! I'd live there if I ever had the chance, for sure!!! Next play date we'll have to chat all about it...

Nate and Sum said...

I love your grandma's glasses! And I agree that there really is nothing cuter than camping pjs with shoes.

Cheryl said...

Is your hair short or just back? B/c it would be super cute short with whispy pieces. Just sayin.

Your kids are adorable and I love pjs with shoes. We are dying to go camping but don't think we'll get out this year. So I am jealous...

Erin said...

In all the pictures Gavin couldn't look happier. Love that kid and his love for the outdoors. And Paige could never look cuter with her pj's and shoes and her dirty camping face. I thought our family picture turned out really good too.

Nancy said...

I love the tuckered out group of girls photo. What a great candid shot!