Thursday, January 28, 2010

how many halfs make a whole?

Hi. just me yappin' about running again--feel free to tune out now. but I just have to say, I don't do crafty things, service things, career things, musical things, or adventurous things, so this is what I do, and therefore, what I blog about (second only to mothering). sorry.

I ran my 3rd half marathon last Saturday and was pleasantly surprised with my finish time. I really had no idea how I was going to do due to a sketchy running schedule as of late, and the coldness and the hilliness could have been slowness factors, but I felt great on race day, which apparently translates into running great. I think the experience factor plays a big role, too, the more I race. I was infinitely less jittery than my previous halfs. also, I think that I run faster when I'm trying to keep up with my sister. want to hear something funny? as much as I felt like I was going so fast, I got schooled by a 72 year old by roughly 18 minutes. 18 minutes! that's longer than it takes most people to....bake cookies? I don't know. I'm tired. anyway, I'm happy that Kaelee, Heather, and I all got a PR, and I'm way excited for our sisters team 50-mile relay in March (minus Breanne, the smart one).

there's always a smile for the finishing end of 13.1 miles


my #1 and #3 fans. Gavin, #2, sick at Grandma Jo's house.
I missed him at the finish line saying, "Mom, did you go fast?"
(p.s. notice #1's shirt. must be in reference to smokin' shoes,
'cause otherwise I don't get it. :) jk. do people still say "jk?"
am I still talking in parentheses?? this caption is becoming ridiculous.
no seriously, I'm tired.)


cutest profile in the world. she's itching to get out there and race with me. someday, Paige. you need to grow some longer legs first. and get your 2-year molars. and go to kindergarten. and....wait! I changed my mind! please stay a toddler forever, please??? I want to cry every time I think about my kids growing up. but that could be a long blog post in itself, so I'll save that. I'll try to keep my captions to a 500-word maximum next time.


I was FREEZING after the race, wishing I had taken one of those flashy emergency blankets they were handing out at the finish line. some guy saw me guzzling my Dew and said, "Oh man! I want a Mountain Dew!" it was great. who thinks to take a 2 liter Dew to a race? Leif, that's who. #1 fans know all.

I HEART RUNNING!

If you're interested in race results, go here. I'm #51.

11 comments:

lex said...

Wow! (That is a great time. Holy moly.) Glad you had fun.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations on the PR!

jen said...

I was JUST going to text you to see if you died in your race, cuz we haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to see you survived!

Nat said...

get some sleep! you are ridiculous in that post....but I loved it. I was laughing so hard. especially about you asking if people still say jk (as if it were ever cool) and your commentary about how you're still talking in parentheses, instead of just closing the parentheses. golden.

Rachel said...

CRAZY!!!!!!
You should take up something less stressful, like knitting. I know I girl, Lisa D.....

Kaelee said...

It IS a great time. Greater (or lesser, however you look at it) than mine. I'm not bitter, I promise. But I feel a comeback a-comin'!

Buchanan Family said...

Congrats on your race... I miss ya!! Hope all is well! Email me sometime.

altanoreida said...

You're my hero Mel!!! That is all. Pure and simple. Keep it up!

Tawny said...

I'm so jealous of your amazing ability and your motivation! Way to go!!

Nancy said...

I wanna play...can I come?...oh, never mind. That gol durn smashed disc of mine. But I'm walking an hour a day. Does that count for sumthin? I'm sure proud of you girls! And you're the prettiest three runners I've EVER seen! (Tongue pose and all)

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! So funny! Congrats on the race--such a great hobby to have (is hobby the right word? should I say lifestyle, passion, profession,...I don't know, but I admire you for having it.) De was happy to see Leif wearing his shirt. Oh, and I didn't recognize Paige with hair! Is that strawberry blonde??? What a cutie!