Thursday, June 4, 2009

track rules

I have been doing speed workouts once a week for 4 weeks and I am LOVING it! it gives me an opportunity to reminisce about the good old days and to pretend like I am still fast. also, I'm sure I love it because I get to do it by MYSELF (meaning not pushing a double stroller and stopping to tend to the needs of the munchkins in it).

however, I go in the evening when there is a good number of people there, so I have to "put up with" those who don't know the rules of a track. by those I mean all of them. I tell myself to give people a break because it seems that track rules are not a common knowledge kind of thing, but it still bothers me when I have to loop from lane 1 to lane 3 and back again to avoid plowing over the slow walkers in my way. you'd think that after being passed 7 or 8 times people would notice that they were in my way and move over, but for all I know, they're thinking, "why doesn't that girl just stay in lane 3 so she doesn't have to move so much?! crazy white girl." (oh yeah, and did I mention that the latino to white people ratio is 30:1? really. yesterday I actually counted. 30. so, if I'm thinking they'd rather I wasn't there, does that mean that I think they are racist, or does it make me racist for thinking so?)

anyway...

so long story short, if you are a track rules rookie, next time you head to the track for a nice little stroll with Grandma, try to keep the inside lane(s) open if there are speedsters there. we'd really appreciate it, thanks. :)

p.s. if you're also wondering why I don't just stay in lane 3, it's because lane 3 is longer than lane 1; therefore, my splits are all off by a few seconds. doesn't sound like much, but it matters to me. :)

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Fantastic diatribe! I loved it and smiled, with total understanding, the entire read. You go girl!!! Those goll durned turtles need to have some consideration for the hares, especially when they have legs as fast and sexy as yours! ;D

Rachel said...

Those grandma's don't want to walk the extra distance either... that's why THEY are in lane 1...

TOTALLY kidding. Reminds me of driving in the fast lane on the freeway...MOVE OVER!!!!

Alisa F. said...

Okay, so I haven't gone running for WAY too long, but I definitely know what you're talking about! Honestly, the reason they stay in lane 1 is probably the same reason you want them to move - it's shorter! :) Lazy walkers... BTW, way to go keeping track of your splits!

Erienne said...

You make me laugh! I would have been the idot who doesn't know track rules and when you passed me the second time may have thought maybe I should move over. email me sometime. We live fairly close don't we?
luck.e.pants(at)gmail(dot)com!!!!

Crazyloca said...

lol...i can totally relate! can't wait to get out there with you girl...give me a few more weeks!

Kaelee said...

Move over slow people. I start my speed workouts this week and I don't handle people like that well so let's hope that in Japan they do things right!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize there were "track rules." Good to know. So, this is probably going to sound really naive, but what are "splits?" I thought that was something you go on with the missionaries or try to do in gymnastics. *Emphasis on try. Yeah, I didn't do track or get very far in gymnastics. :)
Love,
Turtle
Who now knows why runners always look mad. :)