Monday, March 9, 2009

broccoli

leif and I totally disagree on whether broccoli is better raw or cooked/steamed. he thinks that if I poll y'all his choice will win by a landslide. help a sister out! pick the right one, k?

(p.s. this discussion started because we had tater tots and broccoli for dinner. that's it. do you sometimes have dinners like that, or am I the only crappy mom out there?)

12 comments:

Crystal said...

We have oatmeal for dinner more often than I will admit. You're not the only mom.

Dee said...

I like both, cooked and raw. Used to hate broccoli until I tasted it with a cheese sauce, now we like it both ways.

Aunt DeLynne

Megan said...

is this poll fixed?! I voted raw & it's only showing cooked. :) We have waffles/pancakes a lot.

Alisa F. said...

Cooked, for sure. It tastes bitter when it's raw and produces nasty burps (that's probably gross huh? :)

And I'm glad to hear other people aren't making fancy foods for dinner every night. My poor in utero child eats Mac & Cheese or Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwiches WAY more often than she should. At least I have my multivitamins...

Dj,Megs & 5 Beautiful kids said...

Hey Melissa this is Megan(Cox)Meis. Lastnight we had mashed potatoes with asparagus. My husband said no meat? I said unless you want to cook it. I always have those nights when I have no idea what to cook. I want to add you to my blog, so if you can email me at djmegs@hotmail.com I will invite you. I cannot believe your kids in the below post of which one is which? I thought that your girl was on the bottom, so crazy how much they look alike. They are so adorable!

jen said...

How could anyone get it down raw?

Amber said...

I love it raw but only with ranch dip. But then, I crave it steamed too. I like it both ways!
Also- I think your tater tot and broccoli dinner actually sounds pretty well rounded :) I know a this super-cook-mom that says her family has cold cereal for dinner at least once a week.
We all have those days :)

Kaelee said...

Do you mean tastes better or is better for you? Raw would obviously be a little better but I like to dip it in Ranch so maybe they even out. I like both. And we had waffles for dinner. Just waffles, no eggs, no juice, not toast. Both girls said, "is this all we're having? we want something else." But I have to say, broccoli and tator tots? What a wierd combination! I say lets start a revolution against making dinner!! I'm so bored with it!

Nate and Sum said...

I like it cooked. Nate likes it raw, so at least one of us agrees with you. :) Hey and at least you got your veggies in!

Jed and Leona said...

i like it both ways, cooked with ranch dressing and raw salt (and cheese is yummy with it too). Reid will eat it cooked with cheese...no raw veggies for him.

i say, if you can get 2 food groups in your meal...you're set! the only way we get GOOD food is when jed cooks (and that's on the weekends!)

you're a GREAT mom and wife!

Yomama said...

Dinner of any kind on the table at a reasonably consistent time is an accomplishment more women should pat themselves on the backs for - especially when nursing babies and toddlers are in the picture! I'm a veggie-no-matter-what mom, but I read a survey Suzie did for school and she said she only eats 2-3 servings of veggies a day, so I'm not doing that well, even after all these years (course, I have no control over what she eats in her school lunch; and I'm so done with packing lunches!)
Your kids are too happy and healthy to be deprived, and you're all too darn sexy to be eating wrong. So there!
Hugs,
Auntie Karla

Lynn said...

I like cooked best, but raw as well. I remember apologizing to a babysitter that I was leaving only mac and cheese, but that they liked it. She told me she was thrilled, they only ever had beans. Be grateful for what you have, eat as healthy as you can afford, and don't get too caught up in only making simple dinners. They are dinners. Look for the book, "Hamburgers For Breakfast" which is all about not being too hung up on what-when-how. Auntie D