Sunday, March 1, 2009

running in place












I have a love/hate relationship with a lot of things: money. tv. suckers. childbearing. the most recent addition to the list: treadmills. there's just something about releasing endorphins and burning fat in the fresh air that warms my heart. literally. so when my only chance to run comes after dark, I must resort to running in place on a noisy machine, having nothing to do but stare at a fake plant in a corner of my stuffy house and wonder if the leaves are, in fact, green under all the dust that has accumulated there, and why the timer on my machine seems to be broken because it's telling me I've only been running for 2 and 1/2 minutes, and it feels like 12 and 1/2.

so after deciding not to put "dust the plants" at the very bottom of my to-do list because I know it will never get done, I concluded that a good way to help pass the time would be to write in my head. and this post is the best I could come up with. sad. hopefully with practice the creative writer in me will conjure up something more entertaining (for your sake). meanwhile, I'll have to keep reminding myself that, although I do HATE running on treadmills, at least I'm getting my exercise in for the day, and THAT I do LOVE.

8 comments:

Jed and Leona said...

i totally agree with you! we have ours in front of the tv so we watch a movie, or jed plays a game. i know nancy reads, but i can't do that because it makes me sick (i can't even read while riding in a car). it does feel nice to get that exercise in though!

Melissa said...

yeah, we don't have a tv in our room, and I can't read either. bummer.

Amber said...

Very funny. Very true.

Cheryl said...

I love exercising, hate the monotony (and I can never get motivated!). Love the post!

HeatherStout said...

My ipod is my life saver. Every song is a challenge because I try to keep with the cadence p.s. I'm speaking past-tense, since I'm no longer running:( Even with a tv, it's mostly annoying cause you have to turn it up so freakin loud to hear it over the treadmill. But at least you're on there! (Did you get your shoes yet???)

Melissa said...

ipod is also a no-go because Leif takes it to work with him. and if I'm on the treadmill, it usually means that Leif is not home from work yet.

jen said...

I love that you found a picture of a person writing while on a treadmill to go with your story. Who would've thought such a picture existed?

Yomama said...

I'm just glad you HAVE a treadmill, and room to have it, and drive to use it...all elements missing in my life at your point. I exercised, all right, but at the church at silly aerobics classes with leotards and leg warmers on (what a funny era;-)I also read while on the cross-trainer, but mostly because I love multi-tasking; outdoors is the way to go, even for a non-runner like me. I keep thinking I'll change that. In another life.
Love your cute posts and your cute kids; I sure hope you come to the reunion! Picture all these adorable kids together!!!
Love yer guts,
Auntie Karla