Friday, September 12, 2008

the name game

ok, about the names. of course the ones I like best I can't use because they don't work. Some of my favorites are Brynn and Maren, but they are a no-go with Burton. I really like a lot of these "-en" names (Morgan, Ashlyn,Cameron), but I'm steering clear of them to avoid the double syllable ending in "-en" (like Gav-IN Burt-ON). I'm partial to nickname-proof names, so I don't really go for names like Elizabeth and Rebecca. I like cute, but not TOO popular names, so I wouldn't use Emma or Madison even though I like them both a lot. oh, and the name's gotta be easy to read/pronounce--I really like the name Elise, but I don't think I'd use it 'cause I think people have a hard time knowing how to say it.

enough parameters? :) I'm really not looking to steal YOUR names, just wondering if you can think of any that you don't like enough to use. my friend let me borrow her baby name book called "the baby name wizard," which was by far the best name book I've seen, but it honestly didn't help as much as I was hoping. anyway, these are my thoughts if you have anything to share!

if all else fails, I may have to go with "ike" after all, alexis! :)

16 comments:

Erin said...

Okay so I just thought of one that I think is cute, McKenna. McKenna Burton, rolls off the tongue, easy to spell, not a real nickname name. I don't know I am not the best at the name game. If I think of any more I will let you know.

Min and Mary said...

Mary. A personal favorite. And if you're really brave, try Elva.

AJ said...

Lucy, Sarah, Hannah, just some I thought of off the top of my head.

Lynn said...

Don't totally rule out ancestor names ok? I can't think of any on the Bench/Burton side right now but I see really cool ones all the time in the Pinette genealogy that I wish my kids would use. And you can always use Marie as a middle name and fit right in. Aunty D.

Jed and Leona said...

i've always liked names that end with the 'e' sound. i espicially like sophie and evie. mia is a really cute name too. i'll keep thinking of more. good luck!

HeatherStout said...

I personally think it's about time someone in the family used Grandma's name. Just something to think about.

Travis and Rhonda said...

I'm not sure you should worry too much about how the first/last sound together. Some names--yes, but most of the time they're fine. Really, how often do they get called by their first and last name--not a whole lot. And this is a girl, she lose the Burton name when she gets married. I love the names Brynn & Maren! Really cute.

Lisa Johnson said...

Ooh, I agree with whoever suggested Evie! I LOVE THAT NAME! Joe unfortunately does not. Tough luck for me, but I think Evie Burton is super cute. I have a bunch more, I just can't think of them now. I'll get back to you if I do.

P.S. I also am going to try to stay way from names ending with the "n" sound (someday when we have kids). Too bad too, I loved the name Eden. I just can't handle Eden Johnson. All I hear are the N's.

Svetlana Monsoon said...

Not gonna lie, I didn't take the time to read everyone else's suggestions because frankly I don't know them and therefore, I don't care what they have to say. But, I think the name Anna is lovely, simple, classic, and easy to pronounce. Good luck with the actual decision. When are you due?

Emilie said...

I don't think Brynn Burton or Maren Burton sound bad at all!! If it were a name that ended in "ton" or "ten" then maybe I could see a problem, but without the "t" I think you are just fine!

We are getting close! The real count down begins...

jen said...

That's funny because all the names I like end in an e sound and I don't like that with Kane.

I like Ike. Or Jennifer.

Rachel said...

"Rachel" HELLLOOOO....

Jenn said...

I didn't think i'd like the double ending but I married into it Jennifer Nydegger but nobody calls me Jennifer so its ok, so just shorten one you like and if I have another baby and if it a girl I will be naming her Elise, I love it, but we will be calling her Ellie. thats all the advice I have, good luck!

Jenn said...

oh and since you like the name marren I have a friend that named her daughter Mara, it close. and very cute, I think

Joe and Heidi said...

I can't belive no one has said Helga she only the the super hero on american gladiators.:)

Yomama said...

If you are looking for really unusual, I saw and heard the name Kaolie (prnounced Kay-Oh-lee) and liked it. Course, how much can you rely on someone who likes weird names but named all her kids traditionally- and with nicknames? ;}
Good luck no matter what!
Love yer guts (that includes baby),
Auntie Karla