Friday, March 21, 2008

thinking about the Savior



this month's special issue of the Ensign focuses exclusively on the Savior. IT IS FABULOUS. this Easter will be more meaningful for me because of it. Who Is Jesus Christ? by Pres. Packer and The Atonement of Jesus Christ by Pres. Holland are must-reads.

I want to quote the entirety of their messages, but I will mention only a few here:

"Indeed the Atonement of the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh is the crucial foundation upon which all Christian doctrine rests and the greatest expression of divine love this world has ever been given. Its importance in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints cannot be overstated. Every other principle, commandment, and virtue of the restored gospel draws its significance from this pivotal event". --Pres. Holland, pg. 34

"This infinite Atonement of Christ was possible because (1) He was the only sinless man ever to live on this earth and therefore was not subject to the spiritual death resulting from sin, (2) He was the Only Begotten of the Father and therefore possessed the attributes of godhood that gave Him power over physical death, and (3) He was apparently the only one sufficiently humble and willing in the premortal council to be foreordained to that service".
--Pres. Holland, pg. 35

Humbly I lay claim upon the Atonement of Christ. I find no shame in kneeling down in worship of our Father and His Son. For agency is mine, and this I choose to do! --Pres. Packer, pg. 19

3 comments:

D/E G said...

What a beautiful Easter message! Thanks for mentioning the Ensign too because I keep putting off sending in an address change to distribution and the post office stopped forwarding long before I thought they would.

jen said...

Melis, you are so good. Thanks for your happy example.

I want to see your art, but not the naked lady one!!

D-n-E said...

Thank you for your comments. I too have enjoyed this Ensign. It struck me as I was reading it how much peace I enjoy because of the eternal perspective I gain through knowledge of the Savior and the Atonement. Even if the daily things in my life are crazy, the foundation of my life is very stable. Isn't the Gospel wonderful!
Emmi