Sunday, January 27, 2008

Gordon Bitner Hinckley
June 23, 1910 - January 27, 2008





as sad as I am about President Hinckley's passing, I realize that he's definitely happy to be with his sweetheart again. their tender relationship serves as a perfect example of how marriage should be. I'm happy for their reunion!

Gordon B. Hinckley was the prophet for nearly half of my life, so it's no surprise that he has become a very personal prophet for me. I love his humble, yet commanding presence, his simple, yet profound words, and his always powerful and inspiring testimony. he always brought me comfort and hope, and often brought tears to my eyes. I love him dearly!

as a tribute, I include President Hinckley's most recent general conference testimony:

To you, this day, I affirm my witness of the calling of the Prophet Joseph, of his works, of the sealing of his testimony with his blood as a martyr to the eternal truth. Each of you can bear witness of the same thing. You and I are faced with the stark question of accepting the truth of the First Vision and that which followed it. On the question of its reality lies the very validity of this Church. If it is the truth, and I testify that it is, then the work in which we are engaged is the most important work on the earth.

I leave with you my testimony of the truth of these things, and I invoke the blessings of heaven upon you. May the windows of heaven be opened and blessings showered upon you as the Lord has promised. Never forget that this was His promise and that He has the power and the capacity to see that it is fulfilled. I so pray as I leave my blessing and love with you in the sacred name of our Redeemer, even the Lord Jesus Christ, amen.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

wow. i love you! you're awesome. you brought tears to my eyes and the spirit to me as you quoted the testimony. thanks for the reminder!

Lisa Johnson said...

He was a great man, and will surely be missed. You are right though, I'm sure he is very happy to be with his wonderful wife again! Thanks Melis, that's just what I needed this morning!

Jana said...

I just read that last night and put it in my scripture insight journal. He was a very personal prophet for me for the same reason you said. I hope my husband and I can be as sweet to each other our whole lives as Gordon and Marjorie were to each other.

Alisa F. said...

I agree with everything above. Nate and I read that talk for FHE last night and I was amazed at how much his testimony felt like his goodbye, but maybe that was just hindsight. Thanks for sharing.