Saturday, February 22, 2014

Gavin's good side

Mom/son date night brings out the very greatest in Gavin. He decided yesterday that we were going on a date today, and it's all he talked about since he woke up this morning. He begged all day for it to be time for our date. Finally, the moment arrove.

Of course he chose Arby's. We sat down with our food, and he was so pleasant. I'm telling you, if you're feeling down, come by my house and snag Gavin and take him to Arby's, and instantly your mood will improve. He's so happy and chatty and says the cutest things. We started talking about stranger danger, but we talked about "tricky people" instead, based on my recent reading on this website. The conversation was hilarious--because he had all the wrong answers.

Me: "Let's say you got lost at my race today where there were lots of people. What kind of person would you ask for help? Like would you ask a man, or a kid, or who?"

Gavin: "I would ask . . . what are their names . . . JORDAN AND TASHA!" (These friends just happened to be at my race this morning.)

So I said: "Well, let's pretend they weren't there. Let's say you didn't know anybody there. Who would you ask for help?"

Gavin: "A man."

Me: "Nope. You always, always find a mom who has kids with her, because you know she'll help kids."

Gavin: "Oh. Yeah."

...

Me: "So, what if you're at a park, and a guy comes up to you and says, 'I lost my dog! Will you help me find my dog??' Would you help him find his dog?"

Gavin: "YES!"

...

Me: "What if you're at the park, and a guy says to you, 'I have a secret I want to tell you! Come over here so I can tell you a cool secret.' Would you listen to his secret?"

Gavin: "Only if it's a really GOOD secret."

...

Other quotable quotes from date night:

After holding the door open for me, Gavin said, "Being a good boy is a lot of work, but it's the right thing to do."

Gavin rarely sings. He doesn't get excited about any song that comes on the radio. So I asked him tonight if he liked music at all, and he said, "My voice isn't very good at singing. And I don't like any songs in the world . . . except Justin Bieber songs." And a little piece of Leif died inside.

I know he said several more quotable things, but I just can't remember them now. Your loss. I just
love that kid.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I just love that kid too....and wish I could see more of him....not in a "stranger danger" sort of way though....

The Stratton's said...

This was the greatest. That Gavin is a cool kid.

Mama Jo said...

Ah man. That is golden. That kid is good stuff.

-Bernan