I was thinking about my kids, brainstorming what I could do to keep them from growing up, and I happened to be at a track meet, so naturally I realized that being a parent is like running two different races: a 100 meter dash and a marathon. When you're in the thick of it, raising kids feels like a marathon: endless stinky diapers and high chair messes and shoelace tying and bed sharing and stroller pushing and bedtime stories. But when the kids are all grown and you're living in a quiet house with clean mirrors and a kitchen floor you only have to sweep once a week, you realize that it was a 100 meter dash all along. Snap your fingers; they're gone.
Am I right, older generations?
I hate thinking that Gavin won't always give me a kiss before school or want to do art projects with me. I hate thinking that Paige will someday stop asking to play games and read books. I hate thinking that Dax won't always want to grab his favorite blanket and jump into my arms. I know that some people have really great teenagers--but some don't. And that terrifies me. And even if they're great kids, they still leave you to go off and make something of themselves in this big ol' world. Yes, I know this is what is best for them, because hey, I'm happy to have reached adulthood and have discovered the happiness in marriage and children. I want that for my kids, sure. It's just that I'm picturing myself in 20 years, longing to have just a few more moments with my babies from so long ago.
It makes me think of that poignant message Gordon B. Hinckley quoted some years ago:
“ . . . Life
is like an old-time rail journey—delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust,
cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas
and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”
Parenting is tough. It's hard to keep perspective when you feel like the kid-induced messes will never end or when you have newborn-induced sleep depravity. I hope that when I get frustrated or impatient--which happens at least 14 times a day--I'll try to remember how I felt today.
I heart motherhood!
*Note to self: find a new picture to put here since I already used this one in the last post. Woopsie.
2 comments:
You are so right! The years drag when you are in the middle of them, but they really flew by, when you look back. Your real reward is seeing how your children show what they learned from you, when it's their turn!
This is the second time I read this post, and again, I feel all teary eyed. You are so right; it was a 100 meter dash! Nothing makes me happier than when my adult children take me in their arms and hug me, like they did when they were little.
About the clean floors, and mirrors...I'm still trying to figure out where the Gremlins are that are making the messes around here! I can't keep up with them, and I'm getting very tired of it! :)
Post a Comment