Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gavin's 6th

Gavin's enthusiasm for life is pretty great on a normal day, but on his birthday? Forget about it. He was so happy. We were on the birthday countdown for a while, so when it finally came, we had lots to celebrate.

He had a special breakfast before school, then I took a treat to share with his class. When we got there the kids were at recess, so we walked out to find Gavin. Paige was being shy and holding on to me pretty tightly. When Gavin spotted us, he ran over for hugs, grabbed Paige's hand, and said, "This is where I go to school. And these are all really nice people" (talking about the kindergarteners). Then when we got back to the classroom he told Paige she could sit by him and he got her a treat. I thought it was so sweet of him to take care of his sister when it was his special day and he was in his element away from home. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most kindergarteners are a little more self-absorbed by nature.

Anyway, we invited three friends to join us at the Cedar City Aquatic Center, and those boys had the greatest time. RJ Hurst, Andy Hanks, and Lincoln Langston came (cousin Caleb was home with Strep), and I was glad they were all great swimmers because I had the six kids by myself and was worried about watching them closely enough in a big place. But the pool was nearly empty on a December school night, so I had all lifeguard eyes on my crew. Paige and Dax had a blast, too. We swam about an hour and a half until Leif got there with the pizza, which we had to eat in the van because I misunderstood the rules and didn't know we couldn't bring food in. Oops. But it was fine. We had pizza, opened presents, and ate cupcakes in the heated van before going home. Then we had Grandma and Grandpa, Nicole and Callin, and Josh all stop by for birthday visits. And Natalie called from Virginia.

He had a great day.





2 comments:

Nat said...

and when said Natalie called from virginia his first statement, before hello, was "did you get me a present?"

Love that kid and his (loud) enthusiasm for life.

Rachel said...

Happy Happy Birthday Gav!! Wish we could have been there in the van with you eating pizza and opening presents!!