It was a decent 4th. We almost skipped the parade this year, but when Erin offered prime seating and donuts, we couldn't resist. I'm glad we went because the kids loved it. We went down to the community center afterwards for activities, and the kids did a fun obstacle course. Gavin impressed me by climbing all the way up the rope to ring the bell. He's quite into climbing these days.
We had walked to the parade, then over to the community center, then back to our house--which was probably about 1.5 miles roundtrip--and I realized that I need to make my kids do "hard" things more often. Gavin's complaining began at .1 miles into it. I recall saying things like "We've barely started," and "You need to keep up," and "You can do hard things," and eventually, "Suck it up." As if he understands that. I'm a mean mom. He and Paige were also lectured repeatedly for whining and crying about not getting to do all the activities and not buying all the toys and food. Are you sad you didn't get to join us?
At this point in the day after we got home, we made lunch and took naps, and Leif headed off to work for a few hours (yes, work on Independence Day--shameful). Sam and his friend Amber surprise visited us and joined us for a BBQ at my parents' house later. We played a little dice game before they left, then we went to watch fireworks at Three Falls Elementary--one of the few unrestricted firework areas in this fire-laden state of dryness. It turned out to be a more impressive show than I was expecting. Thanks, random citizens, for shelling out some cash for fireworks so I could reflect on my freedom.
2 comments:
love it!! you are such a good mom!! love you!!
love it!! you are such a good mom!! Love you!
Post a Comment