Christmas was a little different this year because it was at our house instead of one of our parents' homes. Hurricane has become somewhat of a central location for the Burtons, who have scattered since we moved back from Texas (was it something we said?), so everyone convened in our lovely desert to enjoy the holiday together. Jed & Leona's family were the first to arrive from California on Wednesday with everyone else joining us Friday night/Saturday morning. De & Kat came from Oklahoma, Ane & Ben with their brand-spankin' newborn from Wyoming, Alta & Michael from Oregon, and Sam & Amber from Utah Valley (Nelson and Nancy, of course, from the Uintah Basin).
I worried a little about it feeling like a bona fide Burton Christmas without being at Nelson and Nancy's house, but I think everybody had a lovely time, mostly because it was really about just being all together again. I usually love to play hostess, but if I'm being completely honest, I did stress a little more than usual with the pressure to please and the task of finding space for everyone, I think mostly because of my current pregnant condition. Understandable. After the first couple days of frigid wind (this town sure can live up to its name), it turned into a fabulous weekend.
Christmas is getting funner every year that our kids grow and their excitement for the holiday increases. I thoroughly enjoyed all the sights and sounds of the season with my little ones--making special effort to hammer into their heads the baby Jesus story at every mention of Santa and candy canes and presents and goodies. The kids continue to love on everything they got for Christmas, so I consider it a success.
After the Burton family left on Monday, we spent the next week playing with the Woodbury family while Natalie and Matt were here from medical school in Virginia. Kaelee's Matt leaves next week as he begins his two months on/two months off gig in the Middle East, so our time together was well spent partying and eating while we could. We played lots of games, hiked in Zion, and spent New Year's at Callin's Stratton family cabin, which was so much fun.
While the holidays were good to us, I was so very ready to get back to normal life last week in preparation for the next big thing ... BABY #3! I got Christmas put away, baby gear out, tiny clothes washed, car seat scrubbed and reassembled, and the big purchase made: We got our van! I love, love, love it! It was listed on ksl's classified ads Thursday night, Leif called the seller Friday morning, and we drove it home Friday night. He had several other buyers ready to purchase that day, so we took off around 1 p.m. with our kids; stole the keys from that nice Saratoga Springs family (in exchange for money, of course); visited with Nancy, Ane, and baby Rowyn at dinner in American Fork; did a little shopping at the mall in Orem; and drove home (separately, bummer). I thoroughly enjoyed the drive in my new set of wheels.

Last week I went to the bank in my old car and had to open the door to talk with the teller because my window is broken. Meanwhile, I turned off the ignition to stop the billowing smoke from the oil leak, and Gavin asked why our stereo face was missing. After noticing the 240,000 mile mark on the odometer, I looked over at my thrashed-leather passenger seat and said, "Because our car is falling apart!" Leif and I got our '96 Lexus on our wedding day, and it has been very good to us these 9+ years. But we love our new spacious ride! Toyota has been good to us (Leif has a Tacoma, my Lexus is a Toyota car, and our van is a 2006 Sienna).
While we're showing off our new stuff, I forgot to post a picture of my "shiny and red" Christmas present, so here it is:
 |
| I love doing laundry! Leif will be building pedestals for them. |
Yes, I have been completely spoiled, as of late. I feel very blessed. And now that all of these things are coming together, I feel like we are almost "ready" for Baby. I would like to get a few more things in order this week (and pack a hospital bag, perhaps?), but now that Dr. Lunt is back in town from his holiday break, I feel like we can have a baby any time and it would be OK. Not that I'm expecting to go even a day early, but for some reason it just feels like I might not make it to due day this time around. We'll keep you posted!
 |
| We didn't set Gavin's racetrack up till after the house was empty again, but it's been in the living room ever since cause the kids love it. |
 |
| I did not realize these two looked alike till I saw this picture--don't they? |
 |
| How did I miss this moment? Thank heaven for cameras. |
 |
| Grandma's Christmas Eve story with the grandkids. |
 |
| Christmas morning love. |
 |
| Leif was not supposed to get me anything because we got a new washer and dryer for our Christmas, but he gave me this hand crafted and framed temple picture (isn't he talented?) AND fixed my necklace watch! Best gifts ever. Cheater. (In my defense, I did get him some knickknacks for his stocking.) |
 |
| Grandpa's helpers. |
 |
| Like father, like daughter (from De & Kat). Goes perfectly with her new play kitchen. |
 |
| Family get-togethers would not be complete without a little roughhousing. |
 |
| Look, Mom ... one hand! |
 |
| Grandkids picture: Paige (3), Gavin (5), Reid (6 1/2), William (5), Rowyn (12 days), Adaire (18 months) |
|
|
|
 |
| The whole Burton clan--together after a long hiatus. |
 |
Thanks for coming, crazy people!
|
5 comments:
love the detailed post. good to see you back blogging. and you're never making it to you due date!
Thanks for posting and making me cry a little. Miss you all already!
What a fun Christmas. I love the way you say things -- so cute and creative. Good luck with baby #3! Sounds like you're nice and ready. Hope to see that baby soon.
Love all the pics. Love the way you say things -- so cute and creative. Good luck with Baby #3 -- it sure was a transition for us. But you have a van now so you'll be fine! Aren't Toyotas the best???!!!!!!! Hope to see that baby soon. Miss ya.
LOVE the van! I'm so glad you found it!
LOVE the washer and dryer. I don't have pedistools for mine either. Can Leif make some for me too :)
I'm glad you survived Christmas. It looked super fun.
I LOVE washing baby clothes before a newbie comes home. I'm so excited to hear what it is. I NEEEEEED to be close to you....oh wait...in the works :)
I need to call and catch up. As usual.
Post a Comment