Monday, November 14, 2011

Insulin Schminsulin

Happy World Diabetes Day! Oh wait, that makes me sound excited about diabetes. And I'm not.

I found out Wednesday that I have gestational diabetes. Ruined. my. week. Of course I had been in a pretty positive place with my pregnancy thinking the upcoming holidays would help these last two months fly by, and I've been good about joking along with people who marvel at the thing that is my belly (I got my first, "She looks like she's about to pop" on Saturday hiking in Zion). Then I found out that I can't enjoy holiday food to my heart's desire and was like, "Come on, really??" For somebody who is extremely unsure about having a fourth child already, this diabetes garbage sure has a tendency to push you right over the top.

OK, so I realize other women deal with this, and I realize that I only have to deal with it for a brief period (as opposed to people who have it for life--yuck!), but I've been whining about it for five days now and don't see an end in sight. I need my carbs! Leif told me he would only eat what I could eat till baby comes, and I said we really should be eating like this anyway! Duh. It's kind of hilarious. Especially since I just read a book called In Defense of Food that reinforces similar eating habits, and I was totally on board with it . . . till some nurse called and told me I HAD to eat that way. Take CHOICE out of the equation and it's like torture. I'd rather endure waterboarding.

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday with a diabetic consultation, so I'm anxious to learn exactly what I need to do to keep this stuff in check. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy baby's acrobatics and the fact that I only have 10 WEEKS to go. Good stuff.

15 comments:

Dee said...

Too bad diabetes runs in the family. I hope you only have the gestational kind. It makes for big babies, too. Good luck!

Alisa F. said...

BOO! I'm sorry - that's super lame. I just took my test last Thursday and am praying I don't get the same fate...good luck with it though! I hope you still get to enjoy the holidays a little! And yay for only 10 weeks!

Leona said...

Oh yuck! I've always said that if I have to choose a disease, it would be diabetes, you just have to eat healthy and it'll take care of it. It's still a pain though, good luck! We'll be sure to make plenty of sugar-free desserts so you can still enjoy some holiday goodies.

Kellie said...

That stinks! At least there are still yummy desserts you can have and you have Jed and Leona that can give you lots of ideas. Glad you only have 10 weeks left! =)

Amber said...

What a Bummer!!!! But what a good man you have to support you in your new eating requirements. I hope that it quickly becomes easier and that you can find some comforting substitues for the holiday goodies :) Seriously, that sucks. Hang in there!

jen said...

Yuck.

What's waterboarding?

Nate and Sum said...

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow! We will miss ya at playgroup.

Megan said...

I had gestational diabetes with Daniel, so I feel for you! I got SO sick of PB toast for breakfast! I found for me at least if I had a good amount of protein in the meal/snack and if I was physically active right after I ate it, then my numbers stayed really good. But the finger-pricking -- Blech!! Good luck!

Travis and Rhonda said...

Hang in there!

Rachel said...

"And no more happiness..."

Nat said...

I disagree with all these positive comments--diabetes sucks! I would also rather be tortured than have someone tell me what to eat....or rather, what NOT to eat. your blog posts aren't showing up on my google reader for some reason so I didn't know you had been posting. It was a great surprise to read four new posts! your kids are pretty dang cute. I hope they're ready for me to smother the crap out of them at christmas.

Tawny said...

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SORRY!!!!

Shannon said...

That totally stinks. I had a lot of people ask me if I had gestational diabetes with my boys since I make such big babies. I never did, but I think you will learn good things from it. Hang in there!

Shannon said...

That totally stinks. I had a lot of people ask me if I had gestational diabetes with my boys since I make such big babies, but I never did. Maybe you'll learn good things from it and it's not just hard and yucky. I hope the next 10 weeks fly!

Emilie said...

that just plain stinks! but hooray for 10 more weeks!!