Oh, what a rough day. We had the usual middle of the night stuff going on: Paige waking up, going potty, needing someone to lay by her till she went back to sleep; the ensuing hour or so of sleeplessness for me; 3-4 bathroom stops for me; Gavin climbing into my bed for the last few hours of the night; and Gavin waking up early, wanting to watch a movie and get some milk. So then Paige woke up and didn't make it to the toilet because she had diarrhea issues. I had to wrap a rag around her cast so the poop wouldn't run inside it before I could clean her up. (I think the new stain on the back of her cast may or may not be dried diarrhea.) I also got to clean diarrhea out of her carpet and off the bathroom rug and floor. And she was on the toilet four more times in the next hour. Poor girl! I let her wear a pull-up after that just in case, and she was mad when I made her take it off this afternoon before going to the Stouts' because she wanted to show Caleb and Jada her "McQueen diaper." Obviously, all that crap didn't help my nausea and neither did the smells emanating from every corner of my neglected house. I got to feeling pretty sorry for myself, what with my husband gone since Monday, my house in shambles, my kids taking the brunt of my ailments, and nobody to comfort or ease my woes. So I laid on my bed and cried.
Enter Gavin, that sweet boy, wanting to stop my crying. So he climbed up on the bed and rubbed my back and said, "See, Mom, you don't have to cry anymore." That 4-year-old angel knew how much I needed to be comforted at that moment, and he was there to succor me because he promised Leif he would take care of Mom while Dad was away. He truly calmed my troubled heart and gave me strength to get back out of that bed . . . eventually.
*I had saved this post as a draft, so when I opened it to post it, it hadn't saved the original date. I have no idea when I wrote it, so the post date is approximate--circa summer 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment