Paige was a little nervous around Sam when we arrived but quickly became his #1 fan. I couldn't count how many times she asked me, "Where's Uncle Sam?" or "Where did Sam go?" the minute he left any room. Gavin toured the farm with Grandpa Burton on nearly every chore and never seemed to be bothered by the cold and snow. Snow is actually quite enjoyable when you only have to put up with it for a week.
Leif arrived late Thursday night, and De, Kat, and Ane came Friday. All other friends and family came Sunday for the homecoming talk in church, and all but De and Kat left after dinner. (The immediate family members MIA were Jed and Leona and kids, Alta and Michael, and Ane's husband, Ben.) I had the audacity to think I would run lots and lots of miles on the treadmill, but I made it through 2 5-mile sessions and called it quits on account of the suicidal thoughts running through my head.
By Monday, my kids were restless and whiny and ready to go home. Tuesday, Sam kept me company as we followed Nelson and Nancy on the road south, stopping en route to visit Linda and Kent (Leif's aunt and uncle) in Provo. De and Kat met us at the hot springs, with Leif joining a little late due to an unforeseen job bid. Sitting in the hot springs isn't as relaxing when you're worried about your kids drowning in the dark (I can't believe I forgot floaties), but I had lots of helping hands around and the kids had a good time. I was super tired on the 2-hour drive home but had some good time to think and sing along to my ipod. Unfortunately, my children got used to sleeping with me this past week and both of them ended up in my bed last night. (Who am I kidding...Paige always ends up in my bed. Her sleeplessness might kill me. She's actually screaming in bed right now.)
Today was busy: the gym, the grocery store, the bank, and unpacking my car and suitcases. I have my neighbors' 3 boys till Friday night, and then the sisters 50-mile relay on Saturday. I'm anticipating a nice normal routine next week.
Pirates attacking Aunt Ane
Our bed
Uncle De did most of the snowman
Catch Phrase with the freshly returned missionaries who cheated and spoke in Spanish
De's how-the-heck-do-you-act-out-"ammonia" face
Sam was very good at Guesstures.
Me? Not so much.
Great picture of Paige with Uncle Sam. See me running in the background? I actually hit my head on that slanted ceiling twice.
Love this.
Two too cute brothers. The one on the left is available, girls!
It was so great to get reacquainted with Sam. He is just the cutest little returned missionary with great stories, funny speech habits, and a big testimony of the gospel. Welcome home, dude.
6 comments:
I can't wait to get my hands on those kids. good thing I only have to wait until tomorrow.
Lovely.
Reading about you guys and De and Kat makes me miss playing games together, especially and Catch Phrase.
It's weird to see snow and think that not everyone is enjoying the 70 degree weather like we are.
Good luck on your relay !!!!
ohmygoodness, that picture of Paige with no pants and rain boots is adorable. Looks like y'all had a blast, minus the treadmill running, of course!
PS That's a cute brother-in-law!
Soooo jealous, but so glad you guys had such a fun time!
Ouch. That's my heart hurting. You people are so good at FUN! And you're all (all means the whole stinkin' clan)adorable. I am missing the Burton family in a painful way. But your pictures are awesome, and your details remind me what it takes to be together, and be close. So thanks for making my pain possible. ;-/
Seriously, you know I love your blog. This post just shared what I won't get anywhere else, so truly, thank you, Meliss! Love you all!
Auntie Karla
Looks like great fun! We have a big family get-together/missionary homecoming pretty soon too. Can't wait for sibling time; it's the best!
Post a Comment