Monday, March 28, 2011

Productivity

Family Home Evening tonight looked like this in our living room:
south: Leif watching videos on his laptop
west: Gavin playing games on Leif's phone
north: Paige watching Diego on my laptop
east: me reading my book.

This never happens (but it was kind of great). Then for dinner, we went to Lin's and bought cardboard pizzas, salad, and Oreos. Next, our "lesson" included a quick, inaccurate read-through of our kids' Book of Mormon picture book by Gavin. Then it was teeth brushing and lights out for the kids, and a hot bath for me with my book in tow.

I'm not going to lie--it was kind of awesome.

Here are some other things we did at the Burton house today:

-boys' haircuts
-a little laundry. a very little.
-tiny ninjas purchased from "The Ninja Store" (aka Durango's quarter machines. Like, we went there just to buy ninjas, not Mexican food.)
-a visit to Caleb's house to return his ninja, only to find that Gavin left the ninja at home, and then we had second lunch with the Stouts.
-a "pretend nap" for Gavin, and eventually Paige, and a half nap for me. (Yes, unfortunately naps are becoming quite infrequent around here.)

Ummm....that's the gist. It looks like even more in written form than it was. I did a lot of sitting around today. Every time I thought about getting up and being productive, I remembered that I was tired and didn't want to.

Yep, I'm a grown-up.

I think it could be argued that running marathons makes me lazier. And I think Leif would be the first to make that argument.

We'll see if I get a dish or two washed tomorrow.

5 comments:

Kaelee said...

It's funny because it's true. You being lazy, that is. I kid. I feel lazy every single day of my life because I choose to read over doing something I should do. So what, the laundry and dishes with STILL be there tomorrow. And probably the day after that.

Leif Burton said...

Nope, I definitely would not agree that marathons make Melis lazy. Not a bit. She ran a marathon on Saturday, but I was still out running at the crack of dawn yesterday morning. I'm sure proud of that girl!

Melissa said...

Kaelee: that's how you get all that reading done! I tend not to neglect chores for reading. I wish I did.

Leif: I think you meant I went running yesterday, not you. :)

Nancy said...

Some of my favorite FHE's were when Sam was the only one left at home and we'd head to the movie theater, buy popcorn and just "veg" in front of the big screen. By then I'd given up on giving anything that might appear a structured lesson, which always seemed a failure because no one ever listened anyway. (I hope my children have happier memories of FHE than I do as a mother. It seemed I was always on the brink of tears for lack of support and interest. When I gave up on lessons and we just played games and had refreshments it all worked much better. Ah well... They all seem to have turned into pretty decent people, so I guess it was worth it after all.)

Rachel said...

What book are you reading? I'm almost finished with The Woman in White. I need something to move onto.