Sunday, January 23, 2011

Regular

Lots of regular stuff going on around here lately. But looking at a baby picture of Gavin earlier tonight reinforced the fact that "regular" changes all too quickly, and it made me sad. Babies grow too quickly. Then again, I might be really happy when some of here and now's regular things are only memories and photographs. Like holding poop in my hand, cleaning puddles of urine, changing wet bedding, and sharing my bed with Paige's feet. As Leif responded to Gavin's cries at 4 a.m. last night after being up with Paige, I said sarcastically, "Hey, let's have another baby." I thought it was hilarious. Then during sacrament meeting today, Paige did something apparently adorable because Leif turned to me and said, "Hey, let's have another baby," only he said it with a slightly less mocking tone. Someday folks.

As for now, my vision extends as far as achieving a potty-in-the-toilet total of 100%. (For Paige. I think I've been 100% for a few years now. Just to clarify.) I used the 3-day potty training method that worked so well with Gavin, but Paige developed a painful rash on day 1 that really hindered her progress. A method that focuses on praise and all things positive tends not to work on a kid who associates going potty with pain. So she digressed. I refused to go back to diapers and try again when the rash was gone, so we plowed through. It's been a rough couple of weeks. The rash is gone, but it ruined her. So we're just going to plug along and hope that she decides sometime soon--tomorrow preferrably--that it's OK to "go" in the loo. Currently, she only goes when I take her and sit her there. We've tried high fives and dancing, potty charts and stickers, snacks and treats, and eventually minor punishment and crying. May resort to high ticket bribes, hair pulling, and ice baths. I only kid.

In other news, Heather and I finished the SG 1/2 marathon yesterday with vim and valor. I read a quote recently that goes like this,

"If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort" (Dave Weinbaum, whoever that is),

and I like it because it helps me remember that doing my best means I won that race just as much as the first-place finisher. Aw, special, right? I was upset after finishing because I didn't run as fast as I'd planned, but I honestly can say, once again, that I ran as fast as I could. It was a good day for a race. And I'm super happy for Heather's PR. She rocked it. (See her post here.) As always, we have the best fans: Leif and kids, Casey and kids, Chet, Erin, Easton, Nicole, and all other family members in spirit.

What else? We dined at Samurai 21 last night for Nicole's bf Callin's birthday. It was a long-overdue, adults-only outing that was made possible by my awesome, last-minute babysitter Angela Shields. Then this morning Leif made yummy biscuits and gravy before taking us on our new before 1 p.m. church geocaching routine. I dared send Paige to nursery in panties, but when she had an accident I realized that I left the stack of back-up dry clothes at home, so she finished out church wearing a bandanna I found in the car.

And that's a wrap, folks.


Have you ever seen a runner wearing arm warmers and thought to yourself, "Why don't you just put on a long-sleeve shirt, dummy?" I used to. Then I tried them, and I will tell you now they are my favorite piece of running equipment made out of fabric (#1 is my garmin gps watch). Sometimes your torso is just too warm but your arms are still cold. Enter arm warmers. Also, I'm really digging bandannas lately. It's a great sweatband and head/ear warmer all in one. And I can wear skulls to get extra pumped for a run.


Gavin loves to take pictures. I had literally just rolled out of bed and grabbed a banana this morning when he got snap happy. Remember 4 a.m.? It's written all over my eyes. And Leif was dancing, which is why he's blurry. Some people need less sleep.


Love this. His mid-night arousal was because he couldn't find his Batman cape.


Grandma Jo and Grandpa Clair got the kids this super cute ladybug game for Christmas and Gavin loves it. Except it looks like he was pretty upset about something in this picture. He either got stopped by the praying mantis or Paige is doing something wrong. I'm betting on the latter.


Can you say homeless? This is what she looked like at the end of church today! That girl will not leave cute girly things in her hair. I think she's still the cutest.

So I was going to add more pictures, but blogger is suddenly having issues with that. Maybe it decided this post has gone on long enough. Maybe I agree.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I feel like we are on the same wavelength! I just went to the store and bought underpants for Henry so we can start potty training. Can you tell me a little about the 3-day potty training method?

Rachel said...

Oh how I enjoy reading your posts...the only thing better would be to sit down next to you and hear about it all in person.
I would have paid to see Paige at church today in a bandana. Weaker men would have taken her home.
Good job on the run... I've already told you that via text.
That picture of your in the morning honestly doesn't even look like you...weird. The dancing picture of Leif looks exactly like HIM :)

Kaelee said...

I pictured Paige in a diaper-shaped bandana, but no! She is rockin' a stylish version! Love it. Good job on the race, too.

Erin said...

I was going to say you look like you wanted to punch someone in the face in the morning picture. Not trying to be mean but I think I would be scared of you in the morning. But hey, cute kiddos as usual. I love Gavin's enthusiasm and Paige was looking a little homeless but she makes it look so cute!

Sarah said...

That bandana skirt is so awesome! I too was picturing a bandana diaper, but you made it much more stylish. After potty-training your own kids, don't you feel like you deserve something big? Like, a medal of honor or a whole week off?

Mama Jo said...

Erin- i just need to clarify: it's not the morning melissa you have to worry about. it's the middle-of-the-night melissa thats scary. and it's not a punch. it's a slap. a hard one. in the face. i promise you do not want to go there.

-bernan
ps your kids are cute. but you already know that.

Nancy said...

I'm so glad you put the photo of Paige in her little skirt! I recently entertained a baby in a stroller at the airport while the mama did a similar "make do" with her toddler, hoping to make it last through a flight to Denver. She said, "All the changes of clothes and extra diapers ended up in the checked luggage!!!" We were laughing about it because it seems all moms have to improvise at some time. I wish I had photos of the times Nelson used black electrical tape to hold the diapers together when he couldn't find the diaper pins (that were right where he'd stuck them in the bar of soap!). Ah, the joy (and I'm serious) of parenting. :)
Nancy