Well, if someone had told me Saturday morning that I was going to be running for nearly 2 hours longer than I'd planned, I would NOT have endured the "non-ideal conditions"--I would have gone right back to bed. Yeah, you read that right. TWO. HOURS. LONGER.
Backtrack a little. Let's start from Wednesday.
Wednesday: come down with sore throat. By nightfall, sore throat is bad. I start crying. Who cries over a sore throat, you wonder? I do. But only if the marathon I've been training for all year is in 3 days.
Thursday - Friday: gargle salt water. This is a big deal for someone who hates salt. Try to keep my head in the game and think positively. Attend marathon expo Friday afternoon. Drive to Central, Utah Friday night to "sleep" at Aunt LouAnn's house, which is conveniently located a few steps from the starting line. Not much sleep to be had (but at least I didn't have to get on a bus in St. George at 4 a.m., right?)
Saturday: wake up 5:30 (involuntarily). Blasted sore throat! Blasted mucus! Warmest starting line temperature in marathon's 34-year history. Gun goes off. First 13 miles: 1 hr. 53 min. Last 13 miles: 3 hrs. 39 min. To be fair, I spent well over an hour trying not to pass out at mile 25. MILE TWENTY-FIVE!!! I had been walking/shuffling since mile 18 and battling head exhaustion. I barely made it to the shaded sidewalk just past the aid station, put my head between my knees, dumped water over my head and down my throat, and then laid flat on my back. I kept telling myself to get up and walk that last stupid mile, but every time I tried I almost passed out. I had some stranger call Leif thinking he would get there to help me after I passed out or to hold me up and walk with me to the finish line. But even with him holding me up I felt like I was going to faint. So I made the hardest decision of my life: I needed to go home. And I'm not a quitter.
Funny thing happened though. As we started to leave we passed a runner with a finisher's medal around his neck, and I knew I had to have mine. So after resting and getting some Mountain Dew in my belly, I didn't feel like fainting anymore. I began to walk with my precious little family toward the finish line. And you know what? I felt like I could run. So I told Leif, and he told me to ditch them, so I did. And I "ran" for almost a mile. Finish time: 5 hours, 32 minutes.
So I guess you realize by now that the marathon didn't go as planned, but there were some good things that happened. I had fun with my sisters. We wore fake tattoos and ate chocolate, and they ran with me and my tears to the finish line, even though they'd been done for a while. A friend from the relay ran with me for a few miles in the middle and was very encouraging. Some immediate and extended family members waited at the finish line forever to cheer me on. I learned that I can be proud of myself for giving my all, even if that amounts to a very different outcome than I was planning on. And I got to eat ice cream at the finish line and wear my finisher's medal all day.
Who needs Boston?
Sunday - Monday: I'm a walking nightmare. If it was the end of the month, I'd dress up like Frankenstein and totally pull it off. I walk with a labored gait, and the snivels and hacks coming out of my mouth would send small children screaming to their mothers. Doc prescribes antibiotic to cure most symptoms of my monstrosity: bronchitis, laryngitis, sinus infection (unfortunately, antibiotics don't work for sore muscles).
12 comments:
Hey girl. Sorry for all the stress of Saturday. I'm so proud of you for sticking it out... even if it meant a LONG internal battle. You're a great example to me! Thanks.
So you ran a marathon with bronchitis, laryngitis and a sinus infection?! Makes my pregnancy excuse sound like a giant cop out!!
Way to finish!
You are amazing for enduring to the end like that. Way to Go!!! And by the way I have oils that really help sore muscels if you want to call me.
Hey - I am sooooo impressed! You rock!!!
You're the meaning in my life...
You're my inspiration....
You bring feeling to my life...
You're my inspiration....
So I'm glad you are alive and didn't faint and have to have someone read that you have NKA. How embarrassing for you to be there without any associates :)
I'm so proud of you for finishing. I never knew you were stubborn (cough, cough) and no matter that you didn't qualify for Boston... it was on Sunday anyway :)
NO MORE MARATHONS, right?????
Melissa,
you and your sisters amaze me! Congratulations for finishing...and for beginning, and for all your other races that you've ran! I haven't ever even done a 5k, but you guys inspire me with the goals you've accomplished. Ugh..bronchitis is horrible. I'm sorry that you have the other stuff on top of that. I hope you feel better soon!
Way to go Melissa! I thin it's more difficult to go back to the race and finish it than to run a great time. I am sorry things didn't turn out for you but you still had an awesome story to tell.
Keep running
Oh Melissa, I'm SORRY! That's awful - you are awesome for even making 25 miles without almost passing out! I can't believe you were that sick and managed to do that. You're superwoman for sure! And the person who has inspired me to do things like silly little 5Ks and triathlons. So thanks and way to go! :)
I just want to cry with you. Yes, it IS okay to cry over a sore throat, or any other time you have so much stress/pain/anguish/remorse/disappointment/stress/fear/anger/fatigue/sympathy/stress/sadness/happiness/hysteria/overwhelment (okay, that's not a word, but you know what I mean)/loss/stress....any time you feel like you'd like to cry...Just DO it. It's better than drugs, I'm sure. I haven't tried drugs, but I've shed PLENTY of tears. I love you Melissa!!!!
We were so happy that you were able to finish YOUR marathon and that we were able to be there to see it! Congrats! Boston, Schmoston.
Very inspiring post. Love your quote "I can be proud of myself for giving my all, even if that amounts to a very different outcome than I was planning on"--i needed that. Get well soon!!
I am glad you finished because if not I would still probably tear up about this. You are awesome! It's been fun being your interpreter and all but I hope you are feeling better.
Awesome girlly!!!! Way to freaking go!!
Post a Comment