Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What You Don't See

I have a friend from Austin who writes for MormonTimes.com, and her recent article, What You Don't See, must be shared. Not because it is the only one worth sharing, but because it really struck a chord with me and I wanted to share.

Often I feel like I (and probably most of you!) put the "nice" things out there for people to read or see. If, for example, you read my blog with the assumption that all is well and wonderful at all times in the Burton household, then you are probably not seeing the whole picture. I think it's safe to say that I blog when I feel good or have something fun or exciting to share. Like when I had a good race, or when my kids do something funny, or when we're all dressed up for pictures.

Anyway, these are the things Tiffany talks about. She has a flawless grasp on motherhood, especially the Mormon kind. My favorite quote from the article:

"I like to think that good parenting is like a duck on the water. What you see is the gentle, almost effortless gliding, not the furious paddling that happens underneath."


Read it.

4 comments:

Teri's Life said...

Thanks for pointing me in that direction! She's good - very good! And now I've found something else to read when I can't sleep at night =)

jen said...

That's a great article. Just this week I've been thinking about completely redoing my blog based on a similar concept.

HeatherStout said...

Speak for yourself, it's always wonderful in my household:) That is seriously a great article. I'm always thinking others have it all figured out, but I just bet they don't. It's a nice thing to realize.

Jana said...

Great article. Thanks for that.