Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Relay Rundown

The funnest race of my life happened on Saturday, and I've done a lot of races, people, so that's saying something. It was called the "Lake to Lake Relay" because it started at Gunlock Reservoir and ended at Sand Hollow Reservoir here in the southwestern corner of Utah. And my team rocked it, not because we won, but because we were the only all-sibling team, and we had the most fun. We will definitely continue this annual tradition (barring pregnancies and/or teammates living out of the country--but we have alternate runners in mind).

The relay "run"down:

6:00 a.m. rise, eat, dress, meet, drive.
7:45 a.m. leave Heather at the starting line; head to port-a-potties; paint fingernails purple.
8:45 a.m. witness first of nine "hip bump" exchanges.
10:15 a.m. finish my first leg feeling great--5.7 miles down, 4.3 to go!
10:45 a.m. Leif, Breanne, Gavin, and Paige meet up with us at leg 5 to support.
11:00 a.m. make sandwich mid-transfer to leg 6--gotta fuel up.
11:45 a.m. wind picks up after perfect weather all morning. bummer.
1:30 p.m. second leg, "The Dirty Climber," lives up to its name: big hills, dust and dirt, strong wind, fatigue, thirst, side ache, ...
2:52 p.m. team "I'm a Purple" runs across the finish line together, beating our goal by 8 minutes!
7:00 p.m. feast! awards banquet at the Dixie Center with yummy food, great company, and the completion of a day full of fond memories. thanks, girls!

Team Stats:

5th of 25 teams in women's division
24th of 92 total teams, including men's and co-ed teams
8:14 average mile splits
best (and biggest number of) fans
only sisters-only team







I'm a nerd, I know.

Waiting for Nat, Leg #4

Getting rested up. Good job, Nat.

High five, sista. How cute is that?

I'm in for a real treat. Yucky Leg #9!

The shoelaces speak for themselves.

Finishing the last 50m together--priceless.


...And done. Why isn't it okay to wear medals every day? :)

Best fans ever! Love you guys.

Oh yeah, these guys too. Thanks, fam.

We smell better than we did all day.



13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Go Team Purple! Congrats to my amazing cousins! That is a HUGE feat. And talking about huge feet...check out that van! (ba-da-bing!)

How fun. Love the matching tanks, and the hip bump trade-offs!

Rachel said...

The girls in your family are so stickin beautiful!!! Great genes, my friend.
Way to go! It sounds fun (if you're into that kinda torture) and I'm so proud of your time :)
Bring on the next race!!!

HeatherStout said...

What an awesome day, I can't wait to do it again! Anyone up for the Wasatch relay??? PS Who says we can't wear our medals everyday:)

Jana said...

SO COOL! You girls make me want to run (and that's saying a lot)!

jen said...

How fun!! I'm a purple?!

Your medals question reminds me of this one time after a clogging competition a bunch of us wore our participation medals to the mall, and some guy pointed us out to his son. "Look son, a bunch of winners." Cause we definitely were.

Loni said...

sounds like so much fun!! My mom has done the Ragnar Relay for the last several years, but I've always been pregnant or nursing. Hopefully this year I'll be able to do it. Love relays

Megan said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you all had such a great time together. Loved the van!

Leif Burton said...

Yeah...my wife rocks! Her sisters too. Can't wait for next year!

Kaelee said...

Okay, wait a minute. Who is this "get your dive on!"? Could this be Leif?? How cute! I'm currently plotting ways in which to get from Japan to Utah next year for this relay, definitely the funnest race of my life, too!

Amber said...

How amazing is that! You guys are my heros! What a memorable experience for you sisters and a great accomplishment. Congrats on finishing so well- you guys rock!

Yomama said...

It's mostly all been said, but what a bunch of hotties! And I mean that in the most appropriate way possible! Way to pick 'em, Leif! (Your running inspires me, but mostly just to brag about you ;-) Your kids will be over-achievers, count on it!
Hugs,
Auntie Karla

Tawny said...

You guys sure do know how to have fun!:) You amaze me!

Jenn said...

wow how those two little girls have grown up! I remember when your two little sisters were little, i have never seen a picture of them all grown up, its crazy, it makes me feel kind of old! If you do the wasatch back, maybe i'll see you there! you guys are so cute and you make me wish I had sisters!!!