clair & jo drove me to vegas and helped me get my bags checked, which was nice and kind of necessary since I'd been nursing a shoulder/neck injury that cramped my carrying capacity and maneuverability. after saying our good-byes, finding our gate and moving to our re-assigned gate, paige and I boarded the completely full airplane. paige was being an angel. I began feeding her as we took off, and she went to sleep. trip going as well as could be expected.
and then it happened. about 20 minutes into the flight, the pilot came over the intercom saying that we would be experiencing some "rough" turbulence. I didn't think a thing of it, but as the plane began to bounce, I found myself thinking, "wow. I think this is the worst turbulence I've ever experienced." and then WAM! the plane jolted violently. it felt as if we had hit a huge speed bump going 500 miles an hour. I admit it: I swore. my neighbor and I simultaneously cursed as my elbow slammed down onto the armrest and her chicken salad covered both of us. if I had had my wits about me, my response to our swearing compatibility would have been, "jinx! buy me a coke!" but I was preoccupied with trying to calm my jarred infant and covering my now-exposed breast. and I don't like coke. thankfully, paige was able to go back to sleep and slept the remainder of the flight. leif and gavin picked us up at the airport, and we were so happy to be reunited! as nice as it was to let paige's grandparents and aunts and uncles see her, it was nice to be home with our boys!
on a more serious note, the reason I got to go to utah for a week was for my cousin cameron shaw's funeral. he passed away unexpectedly on december 22nd while vacationing with his family to disneyland. as sad as it was, the funeral was really good. funerals have a way of making you look inward and rediscover why you're here and what you need to change to become better. as much as I miss cameron, it makes me happy knowing that he's resting from the struggles he had in this life. no matter what the doctors said about his bad heart, cameron had a heart of gold. love you, cam!
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20081228/OBITUARIES/812280304
6 comments:
So I'm wondering what the WAM! was? Just really bad turbulence? Yikes, scary. I hate plane turbulence, I think my plane's going down if we bump even a little bit. I'm also wondering what swear word you said. And if your neighbor saw your boobie. Lots of questions.
Lol at Kaelee's comment. You poor thing. I get so dang sick with any turbulence or rough landings...migraine-esque sick. Not fun. I'm glad you're back with your boys and that little Paige got back to sleep!
What a trip! What is in the sky that makes the plane jolt around uncontrollably?? I'd like to know because it doesn't make sense. Glad that you're home with your boys.
Ditto to Kaelee's questions. How sad about your cousin. Did they know he had a bad heart before he died?
answers to questions:
yes, just bad turbulence.
we said sh*t.
I'm sure she saw more than she wanted to.
yes, cam was born with major heart problems and had like 27 surgeries.
This story made me giggle. But I am glad you made it home safe and sad that I didn't get to see you.
Post a Comment