some recent comments I've received:
"are you having twins?!"
"I can't remember when you're due, but it's SOON, right?"
(from a checker at the grocery store) "any minute now?"
and my personal favorite:
(my niece to my sister kaelee) "mom, is melissa gonna stretch out your dress?"
now, I'm somebody who usually can laugh off such comments, but many women get highly offended when you tell them they're as big as a house, so I've included some general dealing-with-a-pregnant-woman guidelines as a reminder:
1. never assume someone is pregnant.
2. never make comments in relation to how excessively large she is EVEN IF SHE DOES LOOK LIKE SHE IS ABOUT TO POP!!
3. never touch a pregnant woman's belly unless invited to do so.
4. always tell a pregnant woman how good she looks, even if you really think she looks like she has eaten a cow or two, or if she has fur growing on her neck, or if her ankles have swollen to 17 times their original size, or if you haven't seen her hair and make-up done in about 9 months.
please feel free to add any rules I may have forgotten! :0)
13 comments:
I completely agree! I got to the point where I would tell people, "I'M not getting big, HE IS!" I was just enlarging to accommodate him!
People are so moronic. This is why most women are reclusive for their last month! No more comments!
First and foremost, you could never look large! You look amazing! Seriously AMAZING!! I haven't seen you in person since my wedding, but you look perfectly slim, just with a volleyball middle :) I hope you are getting a nap yourself when Gavin goes down. I think that was my favorite part with my second pregnancy!
Take care of you!
Never tell her she looks like she is having multiples unless you KNOW she is.
see, amber? you know what you're doing. :) thanks for being so nice!
Great list! I'm going to have to put it on my blog. I think Oprah should do a show on pregnancy etiquette!
I think you look beautiful pregnant, trust me I've been in your shoes. I think my best remark was, wow, I see your stomach is big, you aren't expecting again are you?? Ugghh!
I can't wait to touch your belly :)....oh and see how HUGE you are (ha ha...like you could ever be THAT big)
But please don't be reclusive that last month just because people might make comments. I felt ready to explode by the end each time, and while I didn't love the comments, I always felt like I had to still be a normal person doing normal things. I doubt you're actually all that big, but if people see you from the back they don't know you're pregnant, and then you turn around... :)
Did Sydney make that comment? Too funny. I agree with the others you don't look big to me at all. You are a petite pregnant.
I'm ashamed to admit I once asked a girl "Are you having a boy or a girl". You guessed it, she wasn't pregnant. Oopsie.
I'm too busy laughing to say much... With seven pregnancies under my belt - pun intended - I guess I heard it all. But I have to say, I either don't have the self-esteem or just plain didn't trust the "You look beautiful when you're pregnant!" comments. I'm glad I'm on this end, admiring you gorgeous girls who really DO look beautiful, with or without makeup, pregnant or non, nursing or normal... Treasure it all!
Love you all, Auntie Karla
As I was about to fall asleep last night, I realized I hadn't taken off my makeup yet. To me that was annoying b/c I always remember to do that...then I remembered, I hadn't been wearing makeup all week and got out of the habit. When I explained that to Ben, he said..."you haven't been wearing makeup?" Good Boy. It was Sunday, that is why I had makeup on in the first place :)
If you were within arms reach I'm sure I couldn't keep my hands off your beautiful belly--who cares for social etiquette, I LOVE prego-mamas, especially the normally tiny girls like you who just POP! BTW, how did you guys learn to lay carpet by yourselves? Did you stretch it somehow?
Mary
Post a Comment