Friday, February 1, 2008

street smarts

whispering oaks
towering oaks
lazy oaks
scenic oaks
burly oaks
broken oaks
twisted oaks



these are the names of streets I passed on a recent run, and they were all literally within a half-mile radius. ok maybe a whole-mile radius. I'm surprised I didn't get lost, even though I felt like I was running in circles. do ya think that maybe there are lots of oak trees here?

as far as street names go, austin has some gems: mo-pac (named after the mountain pacific railroad), oltorf, escarpment, manchaca (pronounced man-chak),and slaughter.

my favorites, however, are cowpoke names like spotted horse, el dorado, gun fight, doe run, sadle string, and my personal favorite, gatling gun. c'mon street-naming people of the world. who gets that job? I want it.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Those are some awesome names. I think you would be a great street-namer. Good luck with that.

lex said...

I say fire all street-namers, and stick to numbers! yes, it is more charming to live at 225 Whispering Oaks than to live at a grid coordinate like 225 E 500 N, but numbers sure would make life easier for those of us finding our way around a new city!

(i might change my vote if I could live on "burly oaks." you're looking for a new place, aren't you? i think you should move there.)