wow! I owe kudos to tara and loni! hmmm....suddenly my amazing race is beginning to seem quite mediocre... :)you girls need to give me some pointers: how did you pace yourself? did you hit a wall? did you do a sugar kick mid-race? what were your mile splits or final times, or were you just running for "fun"?
5 comments:
Hey sorry I don't have any advice on running but I just your other post below and was wondering if you got a job or something because of the comment of leaving Gaving two days a week?? I couldn't remember if I missed some news or something! Just curious really- he's such a cutie and I bet it won't be easy being away!
I'm finishing school! He's actually doing a lot better with the babsitters than I thought he would. thank goodness!
My final time was 5:02, I think I could have done it faster, but at first we were all trying to stay together and some injuries slowed us down. In the end, we ended up splitting up anyway. I really wasn't going for any specific time though. I just wanted to run the race and finish it. I definitely started to hurt badly, but I don't remember hitting a wall until the very last mile. I got a big burst of energy for about the last three miles before that when I got into town and saw my family and then just lost it on that last one. You just push through it though, and it's fine. As far as pacing, I just kept a steady pace that I knew I could stay with the whole time. I tried not to go to much above that so that I could keep at it. They had gatorade, water, and orange slices along both courses (I think most races do), and I also used a gel (It was the Gu brand and the chocolate flavor- It tastes like Hershey's syrup)and some sport beans (Jelly Beans). They both helped when I needed a boost. Anyway, that's about it, but honestly, you probably know more than I do. Good Luck!:) Have fun!
Hey you have know clue who I am but I am one of Rachel and Lances friends, anyways when snooping around to find ideas for my blog I saw how darling yours was. Anyways I used to run in college, and have ran 2 half marathons. My first 1:33, my second 1:30 My advice is to start at a comfortable pace, don't get too excited and run way faster then you can. (there will be a lot of people running way fast at first) Its a whole lot funner to pass people then to be passed. then pick up your speed comfortably if you can after each mile. Second: take a swag of water every time they hand it out.(you don't need to gulp the whole cup) Your body will need to be replunished. Third, I never ate anything during my races, just because I have a week stomach, you should practice on one of your long runs eating a gel.Just so you know if you can handle it while you run. I would stay away from oranges, the acid could cause upset stomach, and stay away from the gatorade it could actually end up causing you to be more thirsty because of all of the salt. Your legs will burn the last three miles, so it's good to have some cheering or some kind of support, if you are lessoning to music this is the time to have your pick me up music. After the race drink lots of fluids and gatorade. (at the end of the race gatorade will help replinish your body, and if you get thirsty you can drink as much water as you need. Don't be afraid to go to the bathroom if you need to, holding is a lot harder and will actually slow you down. Also when you are done with the race you will probrably feel like a brick, however if you can go into a cold swimming pool it will help your body recover a lot faster. The next day you will probrably feel sore, but it would also be good to go walking, swimming or even on a slow short run. This will help your muscles recover in the long run. Good luck, I am way jealous of you. I would love to run a half marathon soon! I hope you don't mind my advice, I love to give it especially if it is about running! my forth love!
thanks for the info! even if you are a stranger to me! (a freakin' fast stranger...your times are super fast, rach's friend! :) I was a sprinter, so I'm just figuring out this whole distance running thing. I like it so far.
Post a Comment