Monday, November 26, 2007

cold turkey

Wednesday, November 21st - Sunday, November 24th:

We began our holiday on Wednesday by going to the San Marcos River--a favorite Burton family outing. Only this time it wasn't such a favorite 'cause it was pretty chilly. Leif went scuba diving while Gavin and I watched a cute puppy and tried to stay warm. And I thought we would swim--HA! Swimming in the river, even if it is a 72-degrees-year-round river, is definitely a summer activity. But it was still fun 'cause we got to hang out as a family.

The Benches (Leif's uncle's fam) invited us to go camping for the weekend, but we decided we would be happier sleeping in our warm beds and then joining them later. So I made a couple of pies Thursday morning, and then we drove to the campsite where we pretty much stayed huddled around the fire the whole day. The campers all made a classic Thanksgiving meal, which was delicious. Leif tried his hand, or foot rather, at a new trinket called a rip stick (see video below), and then Gavin and Leif took naps in the truck, I enjoyed the campfire, and then we went back home to our fireplace and hot chocolate! Not the most exciting birthday I've ever had (only because of the cold), but once again, still fun hangin' with my boys.

I thought I would wait until December 1st to put up the Christmas tree, but Saturday morning came, and I decided it was time. Then we had some friends over for the big BYU-UTAH game in the afternoon, enjoying 7-layer dip, hot wings, and hot chocolate among the cougar cheers and ute groans.

To top off the weekend, the Jensens came over for my birthday dinner on Sunday. Nothing beats a night of roast, potatoes, carrots, rolls, cheesecake, and good company!

Overall, it was a pretty good weekend in spite of the cold weather. And wouldn't you know, today was 65 and beautiful!


GAVIN THREW A FIT WHEN I WOULDN'T LET HIM GET IN THE WATER WITH HIS DAD

COLD? WHAT COLD?

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LITTLE KIDS RIPPIN' AROUND ON THIS THING

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS KID ON CHRISTMAS MORNING

THE JENSENS: TORN BY A TRADITION OF UTAH RIVALRIES :)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Who is that large side of a red barn in that last picture? Looks like she had enough 7 layer bean dip :) It was truly a lovely Sunday evening... only wish it could have lasted longer... I'll send Lance over to cuddle with Leif soon...we can enjoy the lights and our "own" conversation.

Tara said...

Looks like fun Melis. Gavin is so cute. I hope that I can meet him one of these days. Jen's wedding, maybe?

lex said...

Happy birthday and happy Thanksgiving and happy almost-Christmas! I can't wait to be in the same state as you.

Jed and Leona said...

Happy Belated birthday!!! We were going to call you on Thanksgiving, but we were about to drive through the gorge and so we waited and by the time we got out...we forgot, SORRY! I'm glad you had a fun time.

We will definitely be here for Christmas. Jed has Monday (Christmas Eve) off (because it is his normal day off), but then he has to be back on Wednesday. Only for a couple more days (and then GOODBYE RC WILLEY!) So we definitely need to get together.

Thanx also for remembering William's Birthday. I haven't forgotten, just waiting for his birthday dinner and cake on Sunday to post pictures!!!