Thursday, January 17, 2013

Journaling

Heather watched my kids while I volunteered in Gavin's class this morning, and Paige got to stay there and play all day, which meant good mommy one-on-one time with Dax. And a nap. When Heather dropped Gavin and Paige off after school, I let them eat leftover cake before we headed to Costco. All three of them fell asleep on the way over. They did remarkably well as I shopped. I hate leaving a store feeling sick about the receipt, but come on, how can you spend less when diapers, wipes, and toilet paper are on the list? And cheese? I spend too much money on cheese.

The kids make it darn near impossible to read and play games before bed because they refuse to clean their room the first time I ask. Why, oh why, does it have to take an hour with constant nagging and fighting? I need to get back to a chore chart system, but one that merely involves a checklist and not a reward for completion. Household chores do not deserve rewards in my book; in fact, they deserve punishment for incompletion.

Kaelee came over to dry her clothes because her dryer is broken. Leif, meanwhile, got home from a long day's work in Brian Head, and the three of us discussed a lot of politics and economy and immunizations. My biggest accomplishment of the day was getting the kitchen cleaned after possibly the biggest mess that has ever hit the place. I also got to play outside with Dax, which was just wonderful because we've been pretty confined the past week and a half with sicknesses and the coldest cold spell I've ever seen in this place. He was so happy.

I ate way too much garbage today and am looking forward to a healthy day tomorrow. Plus, I think I'm feeling ready to exercise again, which just makes me incredibly happy. Off to read myself to sleep (currently reading Princess Academy by Shannon Hale).

3 comments:

HanksFam said...

Have you read "The Entitlement Trap?" I tailored it my liking. Best chore chart/reward/cleaning system ever. Now if I can just implement it consistently :) Love you and your blogging sister

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

I love Shannon Hale...and the rest of your post...

Melissa, I pretty much think you are really neat. I enjoy being around you. Just thought you should know.

Love, Nichelle

jen said...

I also spend too much money on cheese. And I feel the same way about chores.