| Wanna know what Sam will look like in 30 years? Peek over his left shoulder. That man is the bride's father. How crazy is that?? |
| Pretty girl |
| Snacks at the temple |
| Bench family at Shannon's house |
| Aquarium. We need to raid Uncle De's camera again; he took all the pictures. |
Anyway, we decided to drive home that night rather than handle another Dax night, but our trip was delayed due to Dax puking all over himself in his carseat. We pulled over to clean him up, only to find he had had a diaper explosion as well. Awesome. We had just left Darcia's house, so we turned around to bathe Dax and clean his carseat. Leif's family tried to convince us to stay the night, but I really didn't want to unload the van yet again only to have another sleepless night and drive home in the morning with bright-eyed, needy children. Drive while they sleep, I always say. (Okay, maybe not always. I've probably said it one other time in my life. Still, sound advice.)
So we loaded up again and I slept for a little while then took the wheel so Leif could sleep. I thought I would drive all the way home, but I must have been so tired because I only made it to Fillmore before I had to wake up Leif. Bummer, too, because I wanted to listen to my audiobook all the way home (1776 by David McCullough). I thought Leif's family was dispersing Sunday morning anyway, which is why I preferred to leave at night, but I think they all stuck around and hung out all day, so I felt bad that we had left. Oh well--it was still nice to see everybody.
All of Leif's siblings were able to travel for the wedding: Jed's family from California, De & Kat from Richfield, Ane & Rowyn from Wyoming, and Alta & Michael from Oregon. Sam was the last Burton sibling wedding! Weird how everyone has scattered. I think back to our newby years of marriage--before there were any grandchildren and only half of the kids were married--and it's easy to see how quickly life changes. But in the moment, life's routines seem slow and steady--like a highly viscous lava creeping across the earth. Only when you look back at the path and distance the lava has traveled can you see how it's completely changed the landscape. So it is with life, my friends. I know, I know, I'm so full of profundity and wisdom. Yeah, profundity. Look it up; it's in the thing.
So, to recap, I've picked my top 5 favorite words from this post: dadgum, barbie, dispersing, viscous, profundity. First words that come to mind when you're talking about a wedding, right?
I'm so weird.
4 comments:
I love your blog. SO much. I especially love that you use words like dadgum and profundity in the same post. Love it.
Sounds like your little guy was trying to tell you he didn't feel well. Poor kid. And poor parents. I know what it's like not to get much sleep.
It was so much fun seeing you guys! So glad we were able to visit a bit. We didn't know they were all getting together Sunday afternoon until that morning and we quickly changed our plans to stay longer. Hopefully we can all get together for Thanksgiving and play some more!
Are we sure those two weren't switched at birth? That really is so hilarious because they look alike.
Post a Comment