Monday, February 14, 2011

Geocaching


Lately we've been spending lots of time with our new hobby, geocaching, so I thought I'd explain a little more about it. Well, I guess I'll let geocaching.com explain: 

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

Our kids love to go "treasure hunting." Our GPS device is Leif's phone--he downloaded a free app. We take a stash of trinkets, mostly little toys, to exchange for treasures in the caches. The caches can be anything from pill bottles to tupperware to ammunition boxes. All caches have a physical logbook that you sign, and then you can (should?) go back to geocaching.com to log your visit as well. My geocaching name is "runrgrl" and Leif's is "diveon." Fun, right? :) Geocachers play by the rule "Cache In Trash Out" meaning they help keep the earth happy by cleaning up litter and such along the way. 

My favorite part? Geocachers call non-geocaching people "muggles" (from Harry Potter). Ha! We are so geeky! I love it. No, my real favorite part is exploring with my family! Seriously, since we have started geocaching, we have spent some high-quality time together. Not that we didn't before, but now we hang out while getting to know our area a lot better, spending time outdoors, exercising, and teaching our kids. And the kids get pretty excited about "new" toys that we don't spend a dime on. Score. We have discovered some pretty cool places we may have never explored otherwise. Thanks, geocaching!










Let us know if you ever want to come along! We'd love to have you.

3 comments:

Kaelee said...

Oh my, I'm sorry but I skipped right to the pictures. Not that I don't love geocaching... But guess what! A family from our branch had us over for dinner last night and asked if we geocached because they do and they love it! He uses his running watch's GPS. And they say it's really cool here. You guys should come do it here, I might even go with you!

Travis and Rhonda said...

We would love to go sometime! I think the boys would love it. You might have to pick a beginner trail if we come along (for Travis of course). :)

Kaelee said...

You know, I was laying (lying?) in bed last night wondering if my comment came off rude...oops. It wasn't supposed to. And I did come back and read every single word...except for the definition of geocaching. Sorry :) Yes, take the Sanders, it seems like their kind of thing!